In the first year you take part in a variety of practical outdoor activities whilst in the second year you focus on the development of a specific activity. Practical activities are one strand throughout the first and second year; experiential learning and work experience mean that you get the opportunity for ‘real work’ experience through local outdoor activity providers.
We also travel to Scotland for winter trips and for fieldwork. Additional practical experience can be gained through numerous extra-curricula activities that occur throughout the year. For example, climbing, paddling or skiing trips have been offered in the UK, Europe and the United States.
There is the opportunity for you to work towards and complete National Governing Body awards as a part of our comprehensive Professional Development Programme. Completion of the two year course allows direct entry into the third year of the BA (Hons) Outdoor Education.
- Year One
- Professional Development
- Understanding Personal Performance in the Outdoors
- Introduction to Outdoor Learning
- Outdoor Adventure Skills
- Teaching and Learning
- Introduction to Physical and Cultural Landscapes
- Experience in the Outdoors
- Year Two
- Research and Professional Practice
- Creative Approaches to Outdoor Education
- Groupwork In Outdoor Education
- Skill Acquisition
- Year Three (optional - subject to progression)
- The Principles and Practice of Coaching
- The Evolution of Physical Landscapes
- Student Initiated Expedition
- Social Issues and the Outdoors
For detailed summary of all course content please read our programme specification for this course (PDF).
Download the programme specification
100 UCAS tariff points
Find out more about qualification options from the UCAS tariff table.
Please check selection criteria for any additional entry requirements.
No previous outdoor experience is needed but it is important to have a passion for being and working out of doors.
Due to our excellent reputation in the field of Outdoor Studies, we receive a high volume of applications for this course.
All places are offered subject to successful Disclosure and Barring Service clearance.
Applications are welcome from mature students returning to education.