Systems Manager (Applications closed)
Systems Management and Development | Great Culture | Lake District
Your new job
Do you want a true work life balance? 43 days holiday gives you ample opportunity to enjoy the stunning Lake District National Park in north-west England. Fell-walking, mountain biking, kayaking, exploring the unique heritage, art and crafts – the choice is yours. With modern road and rail links making it easy to keep in touch with family and friends elsewhere in the UK. Why not consider a move to Cumbria/north Lancashire – you’ll find affordable property in both rural and urban settings.
The University of Cumbria prides itself on providing degree-level study across the region and places a strong emphasis on modern and integrated IT and systems to support this.
We operate a friendly, ‘open door’ culture – you’ll be on first name terms with everyone regardless of position. And you’ll immediately notice the absence of any glass ceiling – talent and commitment are rewarded regardless of gender etc. You’ll feel empowered to deliver and recognised for your contribution.
In this role, you will support and co-ordinate the work of a small development team mainly working with .Net and SQL Server databases. This is a hands-on role, giving you every opportunity to learn new skills, coach the team and enjoy the reward from seeing high-quality software delivering real business value. The team also provides support for a range of systems, so you’ll be empowered to troubleshoot system problems and develop longer-term fixes.
Alongside your own team, you’ll work with business analysts, technology analysts and a project manager on larger projects. In addition we have a ready-built network of contacts around the university (HR, payroll, student administration, finance, marketing, library, learning technologists etc.) – to give you expert help with university systems and processes.
What you'll need to succeed
- Experience in managing systems operations and development
- Some points of contact with Microsoft .Net, Azure or Sharepoint/Lists/Forms/Flow would be advantageous
- Experience in leading a small team
- Understanding fundamental design principles behind secure, resilient applications
What you'll get in return
- Salary is competitive – up to £42,000 dependent on experience. In addition we offer a defined-benefit pension scheme (LGPS) which includes immediate life cover.
- Wellbeing – we provide a health care scheme to all employees.
- Inspiring and developing – due to the diversity of our projects in terms of scope and technology, we can provide you with variety and respond to your own professional and personal development needs.
- To learn, develop and progress your career with the ability to obtain certifications and attend conferences.
- Your work-life balance is important to us, we offer 43 days holiday plus the option to purchase more.
- A regular exchange on best practices, new developments in IT and overarching topics - both in the team and beyond.
- Opportunities to support our local communities.
- Adventure, fun and fulfilling – we celebrate successes no matter how great or small. Caring for each other, we provide a supportive team framework. A friendly workplace equipped with the latest hardware and software (e.g. Windows 10) and we never miss an opportunity for cake.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'Apply now', or get in touch to find out more:
Email Geoff Houlton, Head of Information Systems Geoff.Houlton@cumbria.ac.uk
Don’t delay, we need your application by midnight, Tuesday 1st January.