Since Lockdown began in March this year, newspapers have been reporting on a rise in reading levels but also on the beneficial effects of literature in supporting us through this difficult time.
We’re looking for a literary review of 1,000 words on a novel, short story, play, poem, or collection of poems which explores how and why this text had the most impact on you during lockdown.
For novels, short stories and plays please make sure you tell us what you think of the plot, characters, themes, the way it was written and how the story unfolded, as well as why this particular piece of work was important to you during lockdown.
For poetry tell us about the imagery, the rhythm, the use of poetic devices and the language used, as well as telling us why your chosen poem or poems was important to you during lockdown.
The winner will receive £100 Amazon Vouchers.
The closing date for this competition is 1st September 2020.
- The winner of the competition will receive a prize of £100 Amazon Vouchers.
- The competition is open to any student at a UK school or college, preparing to study or currently studying for A levels (years 11, 12 and 13 or 16-18 y/o).
- Your review should be 1,000 words long (10% leeway either way).
- Your entry should be typed.
- Fill the entry form and attach your review as a Word document.
- We regret that entries cannot receive individual feedback, and will not be returned after the competition.
- Please submit each review individually and only once.
- Entries must be received by 5pm on Tuesday 1st September 2020.
- Judging will be by a panel of Literature/Writing tutors. Their decision will be final, and no correspondence can be entered into.
- There will be one winner, although the judges may make special commendations if they think fit.
- The winner will be announced on our social media channels and emailed in advance of the announcement.
If you are interested in finding out more about the BA English Literature programme here at the University of Cumbria, visit our course webpage at: https://www.cumbria.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/english-literature/