Covid has impacted all our lives. You may find yourself on furlough from your job, working from home or included in the thousands left unemployed. 2020 has been a challenge. We hope that some of the resources below can help to inspire, inform, support or simply to give you five minutes’ escapism.
Support for the class of 2020
We recognise that the newest members of our alumni community have had a rough time this year. Their last important weeks of study, final exams, placements and exhibitions were all postponed or moved online. Parties and farewell celebrations cancelled or postponed and very sadly, due to restrictions, we have not yet had the chance to celebrate their successes in our traditional graduation ceremonies at Carlisle Cathedral. All of this whilst also attempting to establish their careers in a global pandemic.
A package of support measures has been designed for the class of 2020:
- Support messages from fellow alumni – Our fantastic alumni community shared their support to the new class of 2020, you can read just some of the messages here.
- Career profiles – Read some of the insightful and inspirational career journeys fellow graduates have been on. Click here.
- Class of 2020 Careers Fund – Class of 2020 graduates can apply for a grant of up to £750 to help support their career. The closing date is 27 November, find out more here. Click on 'graduates'.
- *NEW* Career Elevator Pathways – A series of mini online courses to support wherever you are in your career journey: Career Elevator Pathways
- My Career Enriched (MCE) - Class of 2020 are entitled to three years access to appointments, events, feedback and pathways here: mycareerenriched.cumbria.ac.uk
- LinkedIn Learning – Class of 2020 have access to their University of Cumbria email account for one year, which means continued FREE access to LinkedIn Learning, a library of 10,000+ digital courses taught by industry experts covering a wide range of business, creative and technical topics, from leadership “soft skills” to design principles to programming: My.Cumbria.ac.uk/LiL/
- Graduate Success Guide - Our success guide contains everything you need to know to survive after graduation! Cumbria.ac.uk/Graduates
- Entrepreneurs Group – An online resource which new graduates have free access to: https://virtual.teguk.co.uk/membership/ it includes courses, a forum and network for graduates interested in setting up their own business.
- Togetherall - Graduates have one year of access to the Big White Wall, an anonymous and stigma-free environment where you follow your own path towards better mental wellbeing. Click here.
Support for all alumni
No matter when you graduated, the benefits and services below are for you:
- Job Search – All graduates have lifelong access to our jobs board on MCE here: mycareerenriched.cumbria.ac.uk - sign up for weekly job alerts too.
- My.Cumbria resources – We have a dedicated graduate page on My Cumbria, that you can access anytime here. Click on 'graduates'.
- Library and learning - The Library provides alumni with 'walk-in access' (only applicable when Covid restrictions allow) to a number of our electronic library resources. More details can be found here.
- E-Resources - The Library curates an open access web page to help guide alumni and independent researchers toward trusted, high quality, peer-reviewed scholarly content that is freely available online here.
- Refworks - Alumni can continue to access the Library's referencing management system, Refworks. For more information, including details about how to set your alumni Refworks account, please see the 'Refworks for Alumni' expandable section on this web page here.
- Postgraduate study discount – Alumni, or those who live in the North West and have been furloughed or made redundant could receive up to 20% discount on postgraduate study. Find out more here.
- Career Essentials – Online workshops designed to give you everything you need to succeed in your career. Book your place on My Career Enriched.
- Career Mentoring (C2M) – Give your time, and benefit of your experience, knowledge, and skills to a current student by becoming a career mentor. To register your interest or find out more simply email us firstname.lastname@example.org
- Share your student memories – Do you have great memories of student days? Do you enjoy reminiscing? Fill in our memories form and help to contribute to our Memory Lane project. Find the form here.
- Trace a friend – The Alumni Association holds a vast database of classmates. Perhaps you regret not staying in touch with the friends from your course or your housemates? We can try to help you get back in touch. Email us, email@example.com
- Memory Lane – Take a stroll with us and reminisce about happy student days. This is a work in progress project. Notice a gap in our memory boxes? Submit your own, we would love to hear from you. Click here.
- Attend a virtual open day – Our open days are all virtual this year, we are bringing the university to you in the comfort of your own home. Take a virtual tour round one of the campuses you have never visited, sit in on Postgraduate subject taster sessions, find out more about finance options and more. Click here to see our range of open events over the next few weeks.
If we can be of any further help, we will always be happy to hear from you, email firstname.lastname@example.org