This spring, our final-year sports, coaching and physical education students were due to deliver a series of community events in Lancashire. After the cancellation of these events, the students and their lecturers wanted to find a way to inspire each other and the community to keep healthy and look after their wellbeing whilst under lockdown.
They have created a series of short videos featuring games, activities and healthy recipes to share and support others. These videos provide something for all tastes, ages and abilities from ball skills, gymnastics, boxercise, kickboxing, football and toilet roll yoga.
Mark Christie, senior lecturer in sport and physical activity development, has used his expertise to create his own videos including a paper Olympics and a baked bean workout. He said “It's tough for everyone right now but fun activities like these are a great way to keep ourselves physically fit, keep our sports skills up to scratch, and also help our mental health at the same time. Years of research shows that exercise is good for you both physically and mentally and, even though we can't mix socially right now, these videos are a nice way to connect with others.”
We hope you can take inspiration from our students and staff members. Tweet us @cumbriauni to let us know how you find the below activities, games and recipe tips.
1. Mark Christie's Paper Olympics
2. Mark Christie’s Baked Bean Cans Workout
3. Indoor Olympics by Max Ward
4. Basketball Skills by Tyler Paton Pottage
5. Yoga with a Toilet Roll by Shania Ball
6. Kickboxing Moves by Saffron Wood
7. Soccer Skills Challenge by Stuart Dixon
8. Gymnastic Stretches by Rachel Mein
9. Boxercise Moves by Coady Scott
10. Change4Life Challenge by Rachel Deer
11. ‘Show us some creative poses’ by Dale Gebbie
12. Bounce ball Games by Sam Clarkson
13. Home Exercise by Dan Sears
14. Football Skills by Dan Eccles
If you'd like to keep up to date with our latest health and wellbeing videos follow our YouTube playlist here.