A) If you are studying a degree level undergraduate (Bachelor’s) or postgraduate (Master’s) course, we accept a range of robust English language qualifications equivalent to IELTS. These will be assessed in your application, but include the following:
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- Pearson PTE
- UK A/AS Level in English language
- UK GCSE or O Level in English Language (but not iGCSE)
- University of Cumbria Password English Language Test (UCPELT)
- Pre-sessional course undertaken at an endorsed partner institution in the UK and overseas e.g. INTO or KAPLAN
- HKASL A level Use of English
- HKDSE (Core subject English language) - post 2007
- HKCEE (syllabus B, prior to 2007)
- Malaysian SPM 1119 (at least level 6)
- WAEC (for Gambia, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone)
- Cameroon GCE Ordinary Level
- Malawi School Certificate of Education
- South Africa National Senior Certificate
(If your qualification is not shown in the list please contact email@example.com to check whether your qualification is one we will accept)
Depending on where you studied, your high school qualification may be considered.
However, the Home Office has not changed its English language requirements for visas below degree level. If you are planning to join either an International Foundation or Pre-Sessional English (PSE) language course we will still need you to have a SELT (Secure English Language Test). This may mean delaying or postponing your start date or commencing your PSE online.
If you have applied for a Research study programme, you are required to meet the stated English Language criteria. The only exception to this requirement is for students educated to UK degree level standard in the medium of English in the UK or in a majority English speaking country within the two years immediately preceding your proposed course start date.
In the event of the closure of the recognised and approved test centre - Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a deferral of your studies, or - email email@example.com to discuss whether a University of Cumbria Password English Language Test (“UCPELT”) is available to you.