INFORMATION FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
January/February 2021 Starters
The UK government advice (see information here) is that you should not travel at present unless it not possible for you to change your travel plans. We would therefore encourage you to still register as a student with the University of Cumbria and to start your course online with the rest of the cohort. You will then be able to transfer to the UK to continue your studies when it is safe to do so.
If you wish to defer your course until April 2021 please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating your student ID number and the name of your course.
If you still intend to travel to the UK to start your course, please ensure you check any additional entry requirements and restrictions that have been introduced due to COVID-19 before travelling to the UK. Please note:
- You will need to register online with us by Monday 25th January 2021
- Your will need to provide a negative Covid-19 test 72 hours before your departure (more information here)
- All international arrivals are required to complete a Passenger Locator form on arrival in the UK; this can be found here
- Passengers travelling from a country not on the Travel Corridors Exemption List (here) will need to self-isolate in their (on-campus) accommodation for 10 days.
- If self-isolating, you should:
- only use public transport if there is no other option
- follow safer travel guidance for passengers
- only leave your accommodation in limited circumstances and follow guidance on how to self-isolate when you travel to the UK (England only)
Graduate Immigration Route
The Home Office has announced a new Covid-19 concession for students who are due to begin studying in January 2021.
This means that students starting a one-year master’s in January 2021 will still be eligible to apply for the Graduate Route – even if you begin studying remotely – provided you are in the UK by 27 September 2021 and complete the final semester of your studies in the UK. This will be particularly important for those of you who may have had the start of your studies and travel plans disrupted by the recent Covid-19 developments.
In addition, students who are studying courses lasting longer than a year and which are not due to be completed in 2021 will still be eligible for the Graduate route – even if they you studied all or part of the 2020/21 academic year via distance learning due to the pandemic.
We will provide further UKVI updates relating to International Students when available.
Additional information about the new regulations can be found here on the UKCISA website
Joint statement from UKCISA and Universities UK International: Covid-19 impact on international students 19 March 2020. Everyone at UKCISA and Universities UK International understands that it is a difficult time for many international students.
We will continue to provide regular updates and will support you throughout your studies; we look forward to welcoming you to the University of Cumbria. If you have any queries or additional questions, please contact us on