Waddell Hall

Located on campus, Waddell Halls are perfect for getting to and from lectures and seminars, whilst being secluded from the main campus to ensure privacy. The halls are only a 10 minute walk from the centre of Lancaster. 

Contact: amblesideaccom@cumbria.ac.uk   +44 (0)15394 30224

Make an enquiry

Lancaster accommodation office

Waddell Halls facilities

  • bed,

    227 standard and 16 en-suite single bedrooms

  • wifi,

    Broadband WiFi access throughout all halls of residence

  • person,

    Residence Life Assistant arranging events for students on and off campus

  • bath,

    Open plan kitchen and dining area with communal lounge. Shared bathrooms per flat

  • wheelchair, Wheelchair accessible icon

    Adapted rooms for students with mobility or hearing impairments

  • Catered,

    Catered. All residents must choose a catering package

  • bike,

    Bike store on-site and Bike Hire Scheme available with contents insurance included

  • washing-machine,

    On-site laundry facilities

Please note that all areas within the halls of residence are non-smoking.

Accommodation costs (per week)

Contract length: 42 weeks

Room type Cost Waddell North Waddell South Mill Hall William Thompson Hall
Standard Single £70-£75
Standard Single £90.70
Single En-suite £118.18
Twin £66.57

Please note: Prices are dependent on room type per hall.

Catering package

There's an alternative to using cash when you buy food and drink on campus, and it gives you discounts of up to 20% on purchases too. With your own Cumbria Card you can be sure that you can eat all year long, even if money gets tight towards the end.

Pay Annually Option – 2020/21

  • £300.00

he package you chose is split into instalments per term 1 & 2 and loaded onto your Cumbria Card to spend as you like within our catering outlets.  Please note that balances must be spent within the 2 Academic Years.

Accommodation FAQs

When will I receive information on accommodation?

Undergraduate students

From mid-February, once you have accepted your offer of a place on the UCAS website, you will be sent an automated email within 48 hours. This email has a link on it to access the accommodation information and online application.

You need to log in and complete the online application accommodation form and submit as soon as possible. We allocate on a first come first served basis.

Postgraduate students

Information for postgraduate students on how to apply for accommodation will be sent out from the end of February to all students who have accepted our offer. Please complete and return as soon as possible to the Accommodation Office.

When will I receive an offer of accommodation?

We will allocate your accommodation once we have received your application form. You will be sent an email confirmation once this has been done.

From April onwards we will be emailing out your offer of accommodation. Please note that all offers of accommodation for halls of residence and head-lease housing will be sent by email to the address that you provide on your accommodation application form. Please check your inbox regularly (including your junk folder) for your offer of accommodation. There are lots of attachments on the email we will send, so please ensure sufficient space in your inbox.

Once you receive your offer, you have 7 days in which to sign the contract and return it to us along with your prepayment of £250 for self catered accommodation or £350 for catered accommodation.

Will I be able to share with my friend?

On the Accommodation Application Form, you will be asked if you would like to share a Flat with anyone in particular. You need to write the name of your friend(s) on this section of the form and the Accommodation Officer will try their best to meet your request. If possible, it would be helpful if you could return your form together with those of your friend(s).

What do I need to bring?

There are a lot of essentials you will want to bring to university, including bedding, pots and cutlery. Download our guidelines to find out what you should bring to university.

What to take to University Checklist

What should I leave at home?

While you’ll want to make sure you have everything, there are a number of items either already available in the Halls or not allowed on campus, including:

Kettles, toasters, grills, rice cookers, deep fat fryers, chip pans, fridges, freezers, “one cup” elements, microwaves, washing machines and dryers, halogen lamps, candles, incense burners, sun-beds, heaters, barbecues, weapons, ornamental swords, amplifiers, illegal substances and pets.

Visit the Electrical Safety First website for advice. 

If I live in Halls, will I have any other bills apart from the rent?

Heating, lighting, water and internet costs are included in your rent and full-time students don't pay council tax.

Parking is limited and we do not recommend that you bring a car. Our campuses have easy access to public transport for those wishing to get around. Should you choose to bring a car, then you will incur additional charges for parking. 

Lancaster parking guide

We strongly recommend taking out insurance coverage for your personal possessions. It would be wise to check if you are covered under your parent's house insurance first.

If you are self-catering you will need to consider your food costs. Alternatively, you could sign up for a Cumbria Card.

Will I have to pay council tax?

Full time students don't pay Council Tax. If you are a full time student and fully registered, you will be e-mailed a Council Tax Exemption letter as soon as your registration is complete. This document should be sent or taken to the local Council Tax Office, with your Council Tax bill if you have received one.

If you lose your certificate or need a further copy during your course, please contact your Programme Administration Office by e-mail or phone and we will send you a copy by return.

Council Tax office

Revenue Services
PO Box 4
Town Hall
Email: ctax@lancaster.gov.uk
Phone: 01524 582900
Open 9.00am-5.00on Monday to Friday

Do I need a TV licence at university?

The law regarding TV licensing changed on 1 September 2016

Everyone must now be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use.

Don’t forget, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV, or live on an online TV service.

This is the case no matter what device you’re watching on (whether it’s on a TV, a laptop, a mobile phone or a tablet), and no matter how you’re receiving the programmes - via an aerial, satellite, cable or streaming through the internet. It’s the law, and anyone without a valid TV Licence who watches or records television programmes as described above is at risk of prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

For up-to-date cost information and details on the many ways you can pay, please visit the TV Licensing website.

If you’re leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there’s a good chance you won’t need your TV Licence if there’s one at home. If there are three full calendar months before your licence expires, you’ll be entitled to a refund for the unused quarters of your licence. 

If you wish to arrange a refund or would like further information, simply click on the following link: TV Licensing for students or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090.

If you do not need a TV Licence, you can find out more information and let us know by visiting the TV licensing website.

Do I have to leave Halls over Christmas?

Your accommodation contract is for 42 weeks, which is inclusive of Christmas and Easter vacations, and you can remain in halls/leave your possessions in your room during these periods. You will need to advise Accommodation staff of your intentions to stay.

Who should I contact if I have a problem while I'm living in Halls?

There are Residence Life Assistants at each campus. Their contact details are displayed on the noticeboards in the Halls and also can be found in the information folders in each kitchen.

Accommodation office

The staff in the accommodation office can also help with queries. You can contact them on lancasteraccom@cumbria.ac.uk or +44 (0)1524 385497


Complete a maintenance request via blackboard. A member of Estates staff will then attend your Flat/Room to assess the problem.

Student services

The University provides a wide range of services to help ensure you enjoy a successful time with us. Find out more on our student support page.


You can speak to the Residence Life Assistant or the Accommodation Officer. Please take responsibility to do this yourself-if you are over 18 we need to be able to speak directly with you, not your parents. 

The important thing is that you tell someone so that we can respond appropriately. 

At the beginning and end of your tenancy you will be emailed an online survey to rate your experience in Halls although if you have an issue the sooner we know about it the better.

Contract Cancellations

Please remember you are bound by your contract to pay rent for the entire duration of the contracted length of stay, even if you vacate your room for a period of leave before the end of the contract.

However, release from your contract may be possible if you have found a replacement to take over the contract on your room, and the transfer has been authorised in writing by the accommodation office (see Conditions of Residence).

Please note that:

  • Returning your keys does not mean the contract has ended
  • If you move out without written permission you will continue to be charged for your room. The contract for your room is binding for the period stated. Click the links below to download the relevant Conditions of Residence document.
  • On signing your contract you are agreeing to abide by the terms and conditions as set out in the conditions of residence. These regulations are in place to help establish and maintain a satisfactory quality of community life and all residents are expected to abide by them.
  • We would like to point out that all accommodation contracts for halls are made between the university and the student occupier. While we understand that parents or other representatives of the student will be concerned for their well being, our dealings need to be primarily with the residents. Past experience strongly suggests that this is the most effective way of resolving any issues.
  • When accepting an offer of a room in Halls you enter into an agreement to take the room for a minimum of 42 weeks. This means that you can have full use of your room during the Christmas and Easter vacations.

Lancaster accommodation office

Day Opening hours
Mon tbc
Tue tbc
Wed tbc
Thu tbc
Fri tbc
Waddell Halls address

(Block Number)

(Flat Number)

(Room Number)

Waddell (North/South) Halls of Residence

University of Cumbria

Bowerham Road