Andy Chick is a lecturer of Biology and Forensic Biology at the University of Cumbria, having previously worked at a number of Universities around the UK specialising in Forensic Biology and Biological Science. Andy holds qualifications in Forensic entomology, Forensic Science, Biology and Environemental Biology and is a Fellow of The Royal Entomological Society, the Linnean Society, The Royal Microscopical Society and the Higher Education Academy
Andy was awarded the Linnean Societies "Trail-Crisp award" "in recognition of an outstanding contribution to biological microscopy" for his reseach in 2018.
Andy has writen a number of papers in peer reviewed journals as well as the book "insect microscopy" and a section dedicated to collectiong of entomological materials from carrion in "The Dipterists handbook".
Qualifications and memberships
- PhD Forensic Entomology, Nottingham Trent University
- MSc Forensic Science, Staffordshire University
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Biology, Nottingham Trent University
- FdSc Biology, Nottingham Trent University
- Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society (FRES)
- Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
- Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society (FRMS)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of the European Association for Forensic Entomology
- Member of the European Microscopy Society
Academic and research interests
Entomology, specifically Forensic Entomology,
Entomotoxicology and Entomological Microtechnique.
- Chick, A.I.R., (2020) Stains for entomological microtechnique: simple stains for whole mounts and
dissection. Zootaxa 4790 (3): 447–472 https://doi.org/10.11646/zootaxa.4790.3.2
- Chick, A.I.R., (2018) A revised checklist of the UK Silverfish (Zygentoma: Lepismatidae) Zootaxa, 4504(3) 447-450 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11646/zootaxa.4504.3.10
- Chick, A.I.R., (2018) a futher modification of Dioni's mounting media to allow staining, clearing and mounting of Acari. Acarologia 58(4) 795-800 DOI: 10.24349/acarologia/20184286
- Chick, A.I.R., (2018) On the Choice of Microscope for the study of British Pseudoscorpions, Newsl. Br. arachnol. Soc 142 4-5
- Chick, A.I.R. and Andrews, L., (2017) Pseudoscorpions, an understudied and ideal microscopic study organism, The Quekett Journal of Microscopy 43 131-134
- Chick, A.I.R. and Dye, A., (2017) Apis mellifera (Linnaeus, 1761) (Hymenoptera: Apidae) on carrion, a note of the behaviour and a review of the literature. The Entomologist's Record and Journal of Variation 129 (6) 311-312
- Chick, A.I.R., (2017)A Methodology for Recovering Invertebrate Specimens from Deteriorated Gum Chloral Mountant Media, Entomologists Monthly Magazine,15 (2) 117-119
- Chick, A.I.R., (2017) A Simple method of obtaining dark-ground illumination for the examination of entomological specimens. Bull amat. Ent.Soc.76 March 20-22
- Chick, A.I.R., (2016) Some records of Aphodiini (Scarabaeidae) on carrion. The Coleopterist. 25:3 111-113
- Chick, A.I.R., (2016) Technical Note: A Specimen measuring device for the stereo microscope. The Quekett Journal of Microscopy 42 719-72
- Chick , A.I.R., (2016) Insect Microscopy, Crowood Press, Wiltshire 128p
- Chick, A.I.R., (2012) Sargus bipunctatus (Scopoli) (Diptera, Stratiomyidae) on carrion in Nottinghamshire, and some considerations for forensic entomology. Dipterists Digest (Second series) 19 (2) 162
- Chick, A.I.R., (2011) A Modification of Farrants mountant for use in examining Carabid gut contents. Beetle news 3:3 October. 3
- Chick, A.I.R., Cassella J.P (2011) Gum Damar as a substitute for Canada Balsam in mounting media for microscopical specimens, Entomologists Monthly Magazine, 147(2) 111-114
- Chick, A.I.R., (2010) Carrion in: Chandler. P. (ed) A Dipterists Handbook Second Edition. AES publishing.
- Chick, A.I.R., (2010) A modification of Dionis Mountant as a substitute for Berlese Mountant. Entomologists Monthly Magazine. 146 (2) 117-118
- Chick, A.I.R., (2010) Collection of Coleoptera from carrion. Beetle News. 2:1 March. 2
- Chick, A.I.R., (2010) Rhingia rostrata on carrion in Nottinghamshire. Hoverfly Newsletter 48, 8.
- Chick, A.I.R., (2009) Dermestidae as pests of cultured insects. The Coleopterist 18:3, 187.
- Chick, A.I.R., (2009) Aging of small carrion to collect Coleoptera in summer. Beetle News 1:3, October. 2
- Chick A., Cassella J.P., Terrell-Neild C., (2008) A study of the effects of common insecticides on the colonisation and decomposition of carrion by invertebrates. Global Forensic Science Today - Issue 6: 18-26
"Slide collections past, present and future." The relevance of collections and collectiong in the Anthropocene. Congress held at the Natural History Museum London 23rd and 24th of July 2018
"PubhD #23 History, Forensic Entomology and Mathmatics." PubhD: Can you explain your PhD in the Pub? 21st January 2016
"Bugs, Bacon and C.S.I: My life as a Post Grad." Ten years of Forensic Science at NTU Keynote lecture. Nottingham Trent University 12th February 2014
"The effect of nicotine on carrion feeding insects with considerations for use within forensics." Chemistry and Forensic Science Research Colloquium, Nottingham Trent University 13th November 2013
"The effect of nicotine on carrion feeding insects with considerations for use within forensics." FIRN Regional student conference Presented at Staffordshire University. 20th April 2012