Dr Roy C Wood has held professorships at the University of Strathclyde; Breda University of Applied Sciences; the University of Macau (where he was also the Business Faculty Associate Dean for Curriculum and Teaching) and Leeds Beckett University. He has held private sector posts as Principal and Managing Director of IMI University Centre (Switzerland); Dean of the Oberoi Hotel Group Centre for Learning and Development (India); and Chief Operating Officer of the Gulf Hospitality and Tourism Education Company (Bahrain). He has held numerous visiting academic appointments; and is a long-standing member of the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications. In 2014 he was awarded an Honorary Fellowship of the UK Council for Hospitality Management Education in recognition of his contribution to the hospitality field.
Qualifications and memberships
BA (University of York)
MPhil (University of Bath)
PhD (University of Strathclyde)
Postgraduate Diploma in Hotel and Catering Administration (CNAA)
Wood is the author, co-author, editor or co-editor of some 16 books and 50 refereed research papers. His most recent publications include the following:
- Koens, A and Wood, R C (2017) ‘An analysis of international employment levels in hospitality occupations using secondary statistics’, International Journal of Tourism Research, 19, 5: 496-504.
- van Ginneken, R, Melissen, F and Wood, R C (2016) ‘The owner-operator split in the hotel industry: sustainability challenges and opportunities’, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 54: 35-42.
- Wood, R C (2017) ‘The unspoken question: a response to Thomas and Ormerod’, Tourism Management, 62: 390-393.
- Wood, R C (2018) (Ed) Hotel Accommodation Management, London: Routledge.
- Wood, R C (2018) Strategic Questions in Food and Beverage Management, London: Routledge, 2nd
- Wood, R C (2019) ‘A problem with gastronomic tourism? Sociological impressionism vs. social realism in the study of touristic food uses’, in S K Dixit (Ed) The Routledge Handbook of Gastronomic Tourism, London: Routledge.
- Wood, R C (2019) ‘One cheer for Marxism? Hospitality as a bourgeois phenomenon’, in B. Rowson and C Lashley (Eds.) Experiencing Hospitality, New York: Nova Science Publishers.
- Wood, R C, Sauer, L, Boland, R and Proper, J-W (2019) ‘Professional Ethics’, Chapter 6 in J. Bouwer (Ed) Ethical Dilemmas in the Creative, Cultural and Service Industries, London: Routledge, 99-121.