I qualified as a counsellor in 2005 and have practiced in the NHS and as a volunteer for Women’s Aid. From 2013 until 2017 I was senior counsellor at a local FE College, where I worked part-time and as part of a wider pastoral and student services team. Our clients included students aged 16+ and also staff members. I continue to run a small private practice.
I began teaching accredited and non- accredited counselling courses in 2006 and have worked in Adult Education, Further Education and Higher Education. I joined the teaching team at University of Cumbria in April 2016 on a permanent basis, having completed several short-term contracts from 2011.
My core counselling approach is person-centred; whilst my interests include a wide range of ideas and activities which support aspects of well-being. Recently, I have been exploring Buddhism and Mindfulness and have attended a number of retreats, where the focus has been on living in community and living well.
I live in Lancaster with my partner of 25 years and have two sons, now in their 20’s. I enjoy reading and being outdoors.
Qualifications and memberships
- PGC teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- BA (Hons) Person-centred Counselling
- Dip He Counselling
- DTLLS (Diploma in teaching in the life-long learning sector)
- MBACP (Accred) (Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- FHEA Fellow of the Higher Education Academy