Over 20 years of successful teaching experience within a range of settings from Individual workplace development to undergraduate degree and Master’s level programmes. This experience includes the development and management of academic courses, leading on the Higher Education Academy internal schemes for accreditation, training needs analysis and a key tutor on our PGCert in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, which is both NMC and UKPSF accredited.
In addition, I have a wide range of leadership and management experience, I am an ACAS trained and accredited mediator and an academic member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (Academic MCIPD).
My current role involves facilitating a variety of academic development and enhancement activities across the UoC and externally. I have a sustained record of effective leadership in learning and teaching across the UoC and was awarded Principal Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA) in 2017.
Qualifications and memberships
BA (Hons) Organisational Behaviour from Lancaster University (1997)
MSc International Human Resource Development from Manchester University (2009)
Currently studying a PhD in Academic Enhancement and Development at Lancaster University
Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA)
Academic Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (Academic MCIPD)
Academic and research interests
- Developing and Enhancing Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Innovative Assessment Design including e-portfolios and assessment for Social Justice
- Meer, Nicky M., and Amanda Chapman. "Assessment for confidence: exploring the impact that low-stakes assessment design has on student retention." The International Journal of Management Education 12.2 (2014): 186-192.
- Meer, N and Chapman, A., (2014). Co-creation of Marking Criteria: Students as Partners in the Assessment Process. Business and Management Education in Higher Education. DOI: 10.11120/bmhe.2014.00008 April 2014.
- Meer, N., (2015) The use of reflective critique to engage staff in Internationalisation, SEDA Spring Conference, Internationalising the Curriculum, Manchester, 14 – 15 May 2015.
- Meer, N and Chapman, A., (2015). Co-creation and student values, Assessment in Higher Education Conference (AHE), Birmingham, England, 24-25 June 2015.
- Meer, N., (2015) From Best Practice to everyday practice: Internationalising the curriculum, University of Cumbria Teaching and Learning Fest, Carlisle, 29th June 2015.
- Meer, N and Chapman, A., (2016), Marking Criteria, RIPLE Conference, University of Cumbria, January 2016.
- Meer, N., (2017) E-folio design for assessing students’ lived realities, Assessment in Higher Education Conference (AHE). Manchester, England, June 2017.
Recent external roles
I have been an external for Teesside University PGCert and have just completed external examiner duties at the University of West of Scotland for their PGCert (UKPSF).
I am a National Teaching Fellowship Scheme (NTFS) Reviewer for Advance HE
I am a Collaborative Award for Teaching Excellence (CATE) Reviewer for Advance HE