Looking for a dynamic course that will give you the opportunities and knowledge to be a skilled outdoor educator? Well, what better place than within 912-square miles of the iconic Lake District National Park – a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
We’re one of the largest provider of outdoor study degrees in the UK – and our Ambleside-based course is the only one in the UK in a National Park.
During your studies, you’ll develop the professional competencies and knowledge needed to be a skilled outdoor educator, together with an advanced understanding of the practical and contemporary issues within this exciting sector, giving your future career an edge.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You’ll have an outdoor classroom quite literally on your doorstep – with more than 150 lofty peaks, 16 lakes and an abundance of rivers.
Our aim is that the complex environments you’ll live and learn in will enable you to become a confident, problem-solving individual, able to make sound professional judgements and decisions.
- The only UK Outdoor Education degree course based in a National Park
- Great facilities, including indoor climbing walls and lakeside access
- Well-equipped – including kayaks and climbing gear, for you to borrow at no extra cost
- Learn to operate in challenging environments
- Explore the great outdoors while developing academic, critical-thinking and valuable life skills
- Develop transferable skills to suit a wide range of careers, including teaching and coaching
- Gain valuable commercial and entrepreneurial skills - enhancing your employability
- Comprehensive Upskill Programme enables you to develop your own practical performance and work towards National Governing Body awards
- Taught by academic tutors involved in current research, which will inform your learning
You’ll be located in Ambleside with plenty of opportunity during your studies, and in your free time, to experience and enjoy the great outdoors – without driving for miles.
So, there are ample opportunities to learn all the academic knowledge and practical skills you need to kick-start further academic study or future employment.
Many of our full-time programmes can be studied over a longer period on a part-time basis. Please contact the course enquiries team for further details.