Want to be a police officer? Well, the way in which you can get into the service will change by 2020 and you’ll need a professional qualification for a career serving and protecting in England and Wales.
One way to enter the police service will be via a professional policing degree, like ours – which has been jointly developed with Cumbria Constabulary and the College of Policing.
And, our FdSc Policing will give you the foundation you require to progress to the BSc Professional Policing top-up.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You’ll learn all of the aspects of policing, including: operational policing, legislation and police powers and structured interviewing skills, that you’ll need for a future as a police officer.
But, everything you do will be with a view to successfully securing a job in a police force, so you’ll back the theory you learn with work-based sessions and with on-the-job experience.
- We are a Centre of Excellence for Policing Studies and approved pre-join provider by the College of Policing
- Opportunity for you to apply to be a special constable – giving you first-hand experience in modern policing and boosting your CV
- Tutors include former serving police officers with a wealth of experience in the service
- Use our ‘Crime scene house’ for simulated policing exercises to put theory into first-hand practice
- Our small class sizes mean we get to know you well and can give 1-1 workshops
- You get good placement and on-the-job training thanks to our excellent links with constabularies and organisations in the criminal justice system
- Serving police officers ensure everything we teach matches the ever-changing world of professional policing
- Guided by serving police officers seconded from Cumbria Constabulary.
- You can conveniently study the course online if you need to fit studies in with your lifestyleIf you want to volunteer as a special constable, we’ll help you do that too and will be happy to support your application.
- It's important that our future officers have the best start possible, which is why we will ensure you receive a full level of training for a successful career with the police.
- Choose to study in Carlisle – under 20 miles from the Lake District and Scotland – or from our East India Dock Rd, London campus.
If you want to volunteer as a special constable, we’ll help you do that too and will be happy to support your application.
It's important that our future officers have the best start possible, which is why we will ensure you receive a full level of training for a successful career with the police.