The aim of this module is to provide you with the opportunity to examine issues of quality management and leadership for change at the point of service delivery.
You will need to complete an induction prior to commencement of your first module. We have a comprehensive online induction package to welcome you to both the University and your programme of study. Alternatively classroom-based induction days take place at our Lancaster and Carlisle campuses and are usually scheduled for the first week of each semester.
The running of this module is dependent on there being sufficient numbers of interest.
You may wish to use this module towards a degree such as the BSc (Hons) Nursing Practice or the BSc (Hons) Practice Development.
Leadership: theories and approaches; reflection on own leadership styles. Change management theories and approaches - leading teams through change. Organisational culture in relation to leading change. Clinical governance, quality improvement and the QUIPP agenda. Report writing and development of presentation skills.
On successful completion, you will be able to:
- Propose and critically review the need for a change in your practice area
- Develop a strategy to implement the change including a critical appraisal of the leadership and change management theories relevant to this
- Relate your findings and recommendations into the governance agenda in terms of continuous quality improvement
- Critically reflect upon your own strengths in developing as a change agent in order to promote and enhance your continuous professional development
Indicative core bibliography
- Balogun, J., HopeHaley, V (2004)Exploring strategic change. 2nd ed. London: Prentice Hall
- Barr, J., Dowding L. (2008)Leadership in health care. London: Sage.
- Beerel A (2009)Leadership & Change Management. London: Sage
- Burns, B (2004) Managing Change. 4th ed. London: Prentice Hall.
- Covey S R (2004) The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. 2ndEd. Simon & Schuster, London
- Marquis, BL & Huston,CJ (2008)Leadership roles and management functions in nursing (6thed) Philadelphia: Lippincott.
- McSherry, R., Pearce, P., Tingle, J. (2001)Clinical governance: a guide to implementation for health care professionals. Oxford: Blackwell
- Northhouse PG ( 2010)Leadership theory & Practice 5th Ed. London: Sage
- NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement
- National Institute for Health Research
- NHS Leadership Qualities Framework
Assessment, Feedback, and Teaching and Learning methods
Full details are available in the programme specification.
The teaching timetable should be available from the end of August. Access to the timetable is through the Student Hub – you will be able to access the Student Hub after you have completed online registration. The teaching day is 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday; please keep your other commitments open until confirmation of your teaching timetable, and bear in mind that many courses will offer placements or fieldwork which sometimes extends into the evenings and weekends.
Have a question about our entry requirements?
Evidence of prior successful study at underpinning level.
To be eligible to study this module you should be able to apply it to your practice.
The closing date for applications is 5 working days prior to the module start date or, if this is your first module, 5 working days prior to the induction date.
Please note that the direct entry application system will not recognise your current Student IT Network login. Please select the New User option from the Apply Now button.
All students will need to purchase stationery, course books and personal equipment. Extra costs may also be applicable to cover field trips, membership fees etc.
Resources and facilities
We are amongst the UK's leading health and wellbeing faculties and are proud of the high level of support we are able to offer to our students.
We provide a wide range of high-quality courses supported by expert academic and clinical practice staff. If you join us you will enjoy great facilities and learn alongside caring, committed and experienced professionals. Our employment record is excellent.