Take your degree in Social Science to the next academic level and start on the path to a rewarding career by gaining specialised knowledge and a critical awareness of contemporary issues within social science.
Whether you are interested in psychology, criminology or social science, our flexible course enables you to build a masters programme to suit your career needs.
You select from a range of modules – from forensic psychology, research methods, to social science, sociology and criminology - which will enable you to build your CV relevant to the career you want to pursue.
Couple this with the opportunity to gain work experience in prisons alongside prisoners either in a learning or a mentoring capacity, get involved in real world research within the department and your employability in your chosen career will be significantly improved.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You will be given the opportunity to develop key professional and research skills, while enhancing subject knowledge in your chosen modules. But, we don’t just teach you the academic knowledge, we help you consider how theory is put into practice and how it applies in the real world.
Due to our great links with regional and national organisations – from prisons to victim support charities and homeless organisations – you’ll have the opportunity to get career-enhancing voluntary work throughout your studies.
- Your studies will be practical - through research, case studies and data collection
- Opportunities to gain additional professional development and accredited qualifications alongside your course, in areas such as psychometrics
- Taught by academic tutors with forensics, counselling and clinical backgrounds
- Tutors carry-out pioneering research, which enhances your learning. Plus, it gives you the chance to take part in current research
- Our excellent links with regional and national charities, not-for-profit and penal institutions offers great work experience and job prospects
- We have a great reputation nationally for research methodology
- You can get work experience in prisons and study alongside prisoners for real-life learning
- Opportunity for you to learn alongside students from other psychology courses, enhancing your knowledge of other areas within psychology
- Encouraged to publish your work in our in-house journal
- Career guidance to help you select the appropriate modules for your needs
Our course is a great starting point for a wide range of careers and a good stepping stone to a PhD or a career in research. With the opportunity for plenty of real-world experience, you will have the practical experience that employers demand too.
You can enhance your studies further with a full range of extra-curricular activities, from our psychology film club, enrichment evening and daytime seminars led by local and national experts, to research participation and staff-student conference.
From your base in Carlisle, you’ll be within 30 minutes of Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other, so you’ll never be stuck for something to do.
The first-class academic and real-world experience you will gain from workplace opportunities on this course will be highly-desirable to future employers.