Our intensive course encourages you to break down conventional barriers between arts disciplines and to explore the scope and influence of contemporary art and discover your own individual approach as an artist in a discursive and stimulating, creative environment.
You will study research methodologies and their impact on individual practice, as well as exploring the role fine art has as a critical instrument in the arenas of culture, politics and ethics.
Plus, with your own studio space and through self-directed study in superbly-equipped workshops and labs – in printmaking, sculpture, photography and in AV and IT suites - you will have everything you need to test and assist your practice and art world ambitions.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Our passionate staff – all practicing artists with international reputations - will bring their extensive knowledge and experience to help you in your studies and support you in the productions and analysis of your own unique practice.
- Get your own studio space, which you can design yourself to suit your work, thanks to our large, well-lit studios
- Lectures take place in the dedicated art studios, giving you a unique learning environment, integrating theory with practice
- Fine Art facilities include a professional printmaking studio with facilities for etching, relief and screen-printing, a wet darkroom, a 3D sculpture workshop with dedicated woodwork, metalwork (including hot metal casting) and ceramic areas, audio and video suites for filmmaking and a dedicated Fine Art Mac(kintosh) Lab
- Our Vallum Gallery hosts exhibitions by contemporary artists and designers, as well as students, staff and alumni
- Taught by tutors, who are practicing artists – many are world-renowned
- Opportunity to create an ambitious portfolio of work and projects to wow a wide range of future audiences and employers
- Small class sizes mean you get the option of intensive tutorial support and feedback from our artist-lecturers
- Opportunity to exhibit locally and nationally thanks to our industry links
- Students are heavily involved within Cumbria’s contemporary arts scene
- Run your own artist space in Carlisle and visit galleries of note nationally and internationally
- Visits and talks from professional artists to inform, inspire and help develop your work
Our students have exhibited their work at national and international levels and have gone on to become professional artists, private and public curators, researchers and art academics.
Thanks to our location in Carlisle, you'll have a central base from which to explore with ease, this and other centres of culture, including Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle and Liverpool.
You will be within 20 minutes of Scotland in one direction and in the other, the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site. Add to that, being close to the spectacular North West coastline and you will never be stuck for nature and culture to explore while identifying and building your unique contribution to a global, artistic and cultural landscape.