Passionate about helping children to be the very best they can be from the very start of their academic life? Learn to spark their wisdom and trigger their imagination, inspiring them for life by becoming a primary school teacher.
We’ve designed our highly-rated PGCE General Primary with QTS to support your journey all the way from student through to achieving status as a newly-qualified teacher.
You’ll learn through theory and plenty of first-hand experience how to work within the National Curriculum framework and confidently devise and deliver interesting lessons to engage young minds across a broad spectrum of subjects in primary school.
And, because our course has QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) built in, you can apply for a position as a primary school teacher the minute you graduate.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You will work within schools and with pupils continually throughout your studies – on school-embedded learning and placements, not just on block releases.
We do this so that you can immediately put the theory you learn in lectures and seminars into practice, graduating ready to step into a classroom to teach and inspire.
If you want a full university experience, you can choose to study for your PGCE at one of our campuses – Lancaster, Carlisle or London. But, if you’d rather complete your studies closer to home, you can opt for School Direct.
Whichever you choose, you will get more than 50% of your teacher training in a school and experience at least two contrasting school placements, so that you not only get essential experience but can try a particular type of educational setting before committing yourself long-term.
You could even start teaching by week three of the course.
Although, you won’t be dropped in at the deep end. You will start by working with individual groups of pupils in school and gradually build up to the teaching of whole classes to reach the required standard of professional practice.
- Our excellent partnerships with more than 2,000 schools in Lancashire, Cumbria London, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man enhance your placement and job prospects
- A high number of our students get offered jobs from teaching placements
- Our course falls in line with the National College for Teaching and Leadership guidelines, so you can expect to do a minimum of 120 days in schools required for QTS status
- Academic tutors have worked as teachers and within education and know what it is like to be a professional teacher, so their first-hand experience will support your learning
- Highly-rated by OFSTED as a provider of successful teachers
- Tutors are active researchers in education, so your learning will be up-to-date and fresh with the latest thinking, technologies and practices
- A personal tutor will support you closely throughout your studies and a mentor will guide you during your professional placement
- Easy access to our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment providing easy online access to course material, as well as our library, well stocked with education books, journals and materials you need for research
- Free use of teaching resources for use on placements to enhance the lessons you teach
Over the past 100 years, with our founding institutions, St Martin’s College in Lancaster and Charlotte Mason College in Ambleside, we have gained a great track record for inspiring teachers and helping them step into employment.
So, if you would love to share your joy of learning with children, sparking and stimulating their minds, our course is the stepping stone to becoming a qualified teacher.