If you want to pursue a career in research or academia, our innovative MSc Psychological Research Methods course will be a great first step to enable you to go onto PhD research and beyond.
We’ve earned a great reputation nationally for our cutting edge research methods and we will teach you to use differing and specialist methods, equipping you for future challenges and advancing your career prospects.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You will gain the academic knowledge of a broad range of topics and techniques in psychological research methods from professional values and ethics to implementing psychological research techniques in practice.
But, you will also develop real-world practical skills such as writing for publication, presenting at conferences, managing research projects and advanced analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, which will enhance your career.
We give you the opportunity to take part in our research assistant volunteering scheme within the department, to be involved in real world research projects.
- Hands-on course giving you the opportunity to work with real data for essential research method training
- Opportunity to publish your work in our in-house journal
- Taught by academics who are research active and have a wide range of specialist areas backgrounds (e.g. forensic, clinical)
- Option to study part-time or full-time to fit in with your lifestyle
- Focus on particular methods to develop your own specialisms, depending on your own career goals and research interests
- Learn both traditional and non-traditional research methods to future-proof your learning
- Gain contemporary knowledge and insights from experts in the field
- Opportunities to gain additional professional development and accredited qualifications alongside your course, in areas such as psychometrics
- Opportunities to enhance your research skills and CV including acting as a reviewer for our journal, presenting at our annual student conference, engaging in research assistant work and mentoring students
You will build on your existing learning experiences by critically analysing theoretical and practical issues relevant to those working in research contexts. But, also, you will develop and enhance skills that can be transferred across a range of employment paths.
You can also take advantage of a full range of extra-curricular activities to enhance your learning from our psychology film club, enrichment evening and daytime seminars led by local and national experts to research participation.
Our course, designed to improve your career prospects, will train you to become a researcher and is a great stepping-stone to study for a PhD or to start your career is research or academia.