Passionate about helping children, adolescents and families achieve their full potential? Have a deep desire for social justice?
Our MA in Working with Children, Adolescents and Families will enable you to confidently lead and manage complex work with with a wide range of people and to help them to thrive.
Whether you are an existing practitioner looking to update your knowledge, or a student wishing to extend their knowledge, this is an ideal programme. We will drive your desire to support children, young people and families, so that you can provide all that they deserve.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
- Integrated working - The programme has a cross cutting theme of interdisciplinary work and interprofessional study, reflecting changes in the youth and community work sector.
- Applied course and assessments – The course features a high number of applied tasks and assessments such as report writing, designing curriculum packs, evaluating services, ensuring that you have all the practical skills you need to go out into the field.
- Highly skilled tutors with strong links in the field – Our tutors are all experienced youth work and community development practitioners and highly skilled researchers. We have links with over 100 youth work organisations across the region and international relationships too. This ensures that your programme is informed by recent practice.
- Enriched learning - In addition to our experienced tutors, you'll learn from a range of visiting speakers, monthly seminars, annual conferences and termly fieldwork supervisor events
- Fresh research - Our tutors are active researchers, exploring areas such as empowerment and agency, gender and identity in young children and interpersonal violence - which means your studies will be informed by the latest research
The MA offers you an ideal opportunity to progress your career boosting your confidence to go for promotions and enhancements in your current or a new post.
The qualification will enhance the level at which you can enter the children’s workforce too. You should expect to be able to secure managerial and leadership roles with level 7 qualification.
Graduates may work in a range of children’s workforce organisations, or in integrated settings within education, social care, health and wellbeing, sport and culture, crime and justice. Within each of these sectors there are employers who provide statutory services, voluntary and charitable services and private services. This provides you with a wide range of employment options.