Learn to protect the future of animals and their habitats on a course where the Lake District – one of the UK’s oldest national parks - is your outdoor classroom.
Learning and living in this inspiring environment, you’ll be discovering many of the UK’s most iconic and endangered wildlife, diverse habitats, ecosystems and important conservation sites with hands-on research opportunities throughout your studies here.
Our foundation year will help you reach the right level for taking the rest of the degree, building a solid foundation of skills from which to expand upon.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You’ll live, study and research surrounded by rare and endangered species – including Ospreys, Freshwater pearl mussels, Red Squirrels and Atlantic salmon - a diverse range of ecosystems and habitats, including Atlantic oak forests (Britain’s own rainforest).
Plus, our strong links with animal and wildlife conservation organisations in the UK and abroad, provide you with excellent work placements, volunteering opportunities and job prospects.
- We’re the only UK university with a campus within a national park
- You’ll learn and study conservation where it happens
- You’ll use cutting edge technology, including species monitoring using environmental DNA analysis and digital mapping technologies – key skills desired by employers
- You’ll have access to new laboratories and excellent up-to-date equipment – including 60 camera traps
- You have the opportunity to work alongside organisations, such as, Cumbria Wildlife Trust
- Taught by tutors involved in international research, which informs your learning
- Flexible modules to shape your course towards your intended career path
- Conduct your own research but you can also get involved in our scientific studies.
- The opportunity to go on an international field trip to learn about conservation issues in the developing world (currently in West Africa)
Our course is designed by experts, who are well-known in the research of animal conservation science. You’ll be taught by academic tutors with years of practical experience working in the field.
So, if you want a successful career in wildlife conservation, this course will teach you everything you need to become a professional in the field.
Special offer for 2017
Students starting the course in September 2017 will receive a complimentary First Aid Upskill course.