Prepare yourself for a career conserving biodiversity and managing protected areas in the UK or abroad. Our course will give you the know-how you need to succeed.
We will provide you with a thorough grounding in conservation biology, examining conservation from the individual organism to entire habitats, landscapes, and ecosystems.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You’ll study in the heart of theiconic Lake District National Park. This provides you with access to some of the UK’s most iconic habitats right at your doorstep: species-rich grasslands, Atlantic oak woodlands (the UK’s own rainforest), raised bogs and wetlands and unique mountain flora and fauna.
You’ll have the opportunity to learn hands-on conservation right where it happens, backing-up your academic studies in an amazing and inspiring environment in the heartland of the UK conservation movement.
- Study in our Lake District Campus in Ambleside, which hosts the Centre for National Parks and Protected Areas, a world-class research hub for nature conservation
- Our strong links with conservation organisations in the UK and abroad provides you with excellent work placements, volunteering opportunities and job prospects
- Access to new laboratories and excellent up-to-date equipment to prepare you for your career
- Use cutting-edge technology, including geographic information systems and digital mapping technologies – a key skill desired by employers
- Tutors are involved in national and international conservation research, which keeps your teaching current
- Class sizes are kept small so we can guide and support you individually
- Flexible modules allow you to shape your course towards your intended career path
- Conduct your own research but also get involved in our scientific studies
- Opportunity to go on international field trips to learn about conservation issues abroad (currently in West Africa)
Changes in public perceptions and legislation have led to an increase in the demand for professionals with the knowledge and skills to manage the conservation of species and ecosystems.
Our course - designed by experts with years of experience working in the field - gives you the academic and practical skills that you need to secure employment in the conservation sector.