If you want to take your love of dance to a professional level, then here’s a course that will let you do that successfully - and one that’ll see you flourish as a performer and artist in your own right.
We’ll encourage you to find who you are as a dancer, to hone your technique and choreography skills by giving you the studio space and dedicated support to ensure you develop.
Why the University of Cumbria
You’ll study in a dedicated and creative arts campus, where you’ll regularly be dancing and involved in physical theatre performances and productions.
And, you’ll get to work with well-known industry professionals, such as David Lloyd, who will mentor you through company classes and rehearsals. In fact, many of our students have gone on to secure work with visiting practitioners.
- Establish your own technique to flourish as a unique artist because we believe in developing individuals
- Opportunity take part in the MOVE IT dance festival and the London and Manchester Graduate Showcases
- Work with professional dancers and choreographers to learn the latest techniques
- Gain the skills required to market yourself as a performer and the start-up skills you need to become a self-employed dancer
- You’ll learn teaching practices, so that you can go on to teach dance
- Study in small groups so we can work closely with you throughout your studies
- Our excellent links with choreographers and companies provide you great job prospects
- Easy access to rehearsal spaces and our own Stanwix Theatre on campus
- Academic tutors have a wealth of experience as dance practitioners
- Plenty of stage experience to build your confidence as a performer helping you to be audition-ready to secure a job
You’ll study on a dedicated arts campus in Carlisle, where you'll be within easy reach of Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other. So, you'll never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
You’ll explore dance and performance history, approaches to teaching dance both within education and in the community. But, you’ll also hone your skills in a variety of dance styles, including contemporary dance and physical theatre.
Our aim is that you graduate as a confident dancer, fresh and ready to make your mark in the world of dance.