If you want to take your love of dance to a professional level, then here’s a course that will let you do that successfully - one that’ll see you flourish as a performer and artist in your own right.
You'll be encouraged to find out who you are as a dancer, to hone your technique and perfect your choreography skills with dedicated support from our expert tutors and with easy access to studio space.
And, through the exploration of dance and performance history, learning varied approaches to dance teaching within education and in the community and honing your skills in a variety of dance styles, including contemporary dance and physical theatre, you will become a proficient practitioner too.
Why the University of Cumbria
You’ll live and learn on our dedicated, creative and vibrant Institute of the Arts, where you’ll regularly be dancing and involved in physical theatre performances and productions.
And, you’ll get to work with well-known industry professionals, such as David Lloyd, who will mentor you through company classes and rehearsals. In fact, many of our students have gone on to secure work with visiting practitioners.
- Establish your own technique to flourish as a unique artist because we believe in developing individuals
- Opportunity take part in the MOVE IT dance festival and the London and Manchester Graduate Showcases
- Work with professional dancers and choreographers to learn the latest techniques
- Gain the skills required to market yourself as a performer and the start-up skills you need to become a self-employed dancer
- Learn teaching practices, so that you can go on to teach dance
- Study in small groups so we can work closely with you throughout your studies
- Our excellent links with choreographers and companies provide you great job prospects
- Easy access to rehearsal spaces and our own on-campus Stanwix Theatre - a fantastic space which stages more than 200 performances per year
- Academic tutors have a wealth of experience as dance practitioners and they bring their invaluable first-hand experience to their teaching
- Plenty of stage experience to build your confidence as a performer helping you to be audition-ready to secure a job
- Access to great student spaces and facilities, including a library specialising in resources for the arts and includes a large collection of journals
From your base on our dedicated arts campus in the historic, bustling and cultural city of Carlisle, you'll be within easy reach of Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other. So, you'll never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
The aim of our BA (Hons) Dance is to help you graduate as a confident dancer, fresh and ready to make your mark in the world of dance.