Our BSc Forensic Science IFY – accredited by the Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences –will support you to secure the skills you need to become a forensic scientist. We will enable you to develop the expertise by studying a unique approach to Forensic Science encompassing not just the criminal aspects of the profession but also the wider remit of science and justice in both the public and private sectors. Designed by industry professionals, you will develop the skills and knowledge highly-valued amongst employers, including the ability to confidently investigate crimes, conduct independent laboratory analysis, process and analyse evidence and prepare statements for court proceedings.
Our practical-focused course means you won’t just learn the theory, you’ll be doing it in hands-on sessions – including investigating complex crime scenes at our mock crime house, through realistic major incidents and applying practical laboratory skills to solving both criminal and commercial investigations determining authenticity and provenance.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
- You'll be eligible for Associate Membership of The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences when you graduate and student membership whilst studying
- Use the same facilities operated by professionals in the field - including, DNA technology, and the very latest analytical equipment such as Gas Chromatography, High Performance Liquid Chromatography and Raman Spectroscopy
- Work in new, state-of-the-art specialist laboratories to develop crucial skills for your future as a scientist
- Taught by academic tutors with professional backgrounds in forensics, policing and the criminal justice system, who bring their invaluable, first-hand experience to their teaching
- Our tutors conduct and are involved in national research projects, which will enhance your learning and ensure it is up-to-date
- Small class sizes mean we provide you with personal guidance and support
- Work shadow professionals in mirroring processes and procedures used in crime scenes, for invaluable first-hand experience
- Opportunity to work alongside professional organisations, including Cumbria Constabulary and other Criminal Justice bodies, thanks to our close working relationships across the sector
- Flexible modules so you can carve the course to suit your future career path
You’ll study on our friendly Fusehill Street campus with access to great facilities, including modern student spaces and our new £3.5 million STEM laboratories.
Forensic Science ranks in the Top 10 Nationally for Student Satisfaction
- Complete University Guide 2021
You will be a short walk from the centre of the historic, bustling, student city of Carlisle and within easy reach of the stunning Lake District National Park – a UNESCO World Heritage site - and Scotland. Add to that close to the spectacular North West coastline and you’ll never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
We offer all of this because our main aim is to prepare you for a future in crime scene investigation or forensic analysis by providing you with the scientific know-how that’ll boost your job prospects.
But, because you can develop key transferable skills too, such as problem-solving and critical analysis, our BSc Forensic and Investigative Science will set you up for careers in other sectors including in the NHS and teaching.
Tour our £3.5 million state-of-the-art facilities: