Children require enthusiastic, passionate teachers who will encourage them to grow and learn. Does this sound like you? Then we're here to get you started on an exciting career as an early years/primary school teacher.
During the course you'll explore how children learn between the ages of 3 and 11, you’ll learn about the curriculum, specialisms and pedagogy, so you can make a positive contribution to young children's lives.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
We’ll prepare you for working with primary and early years children in a variety of schools and other settings and will build your confidence so you can move with ease into your first teaching post.
Yes, you’ll learn the theory, but work-based placements in schools sit at the heart of our course to equip you with first-hand experience to bolster your CV and prepare you for a rich and successful life in teaching.
And, you can choose to study in either Lancaster, Carlisle or London.
- You get qualified teacher status upon completion of your degree
- We have a strong partnership with schools and educational providers to help you secure placements and enhance your job prospects
- Our students are highly-regarded by schools and employers
- Study in small class groups, so we get to know you well
- Your personal tutor will support and guide you through your studies
- All tutors have a wealth of experience in teaching and have good links with local schools
- Use of our educational facilities – including our Early Years classroom
- Opportunities to personalise your degree through a work-based placement, elective option, and a choice of specialism
- Opportunity to do your placement abroad
- Optional international trips each year bolster your organisational and planning skills
If you don’t have your statutory skills test before you come on the course, don’t worry, we'll support you in taking the test with personalised sessions.
So, for a degree to springboard your teaching career, this is the course for you.