Fascinated about how the body and mind responds to exercise, what happens when we don't exercise or what makes an elite athlete? Well, studying the science behind sports and exercise is for you.
Our course is designed for you to gain high-quality, profession-specific training – including strength and conditioning for elite sport and notational analysis.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Physiology, biomechanics, sports nutrition and psychology sit at the heart of our degree – but you won’t just talk about it, you’ll be actively learning in our state-of-the art human performance laboratory.
Add to that placements giving you real-world experience and you can graduate with key workforce skills to boost your employment prospects as a sports scientist.
You’ll be living in a vibrant student city by the spectacular north west coastline. And, within an hour of the Lake District National Park and the big cities of Manchester and Liverpool. So, whether you want lively or leisurely, you’re within reach of both.
- Access to our sports complex, clinics and laboratories
- We have great industry links – including with top-flight football teams
- Our contacts and partnerships give you great placement and job prospects
- Great tutor support and we get to know you because our seminar class sizes are small
- Some of our tutors have worked with professional athletes and teams
- Tutors are involved in international research, keeping your learning up-to-date
- Opportunity for 100 hours on placement in sports clubs, hospitals, and clinics
- Opportunity to enhance professional skills with courses such as gym instruction
- Develop confident laboratory skills to a standard expected by employers
- Opportunity to study abroad
Sport and exercise scientists are in increasing demand, due to Government focus on public health and fitness and the growth of professional athletes determined to maximise their potential.
Many of our students have gone on to work with elite athletes in sport science support – including in the Premier League - as well as helping to improve the health of the community.
And, since our course is intended to make you a top all-round sports scientist, you too can join them.