Do you have a passion for supporting others in their learning? Are you keen to inspire others but not sure if teaching is the right path?
Well, our course is for you. If you already have a relevant teaching and learning foundation degree, DipHE or HND, you can complete just one year of studying for this top-up degree to achieve a full degree-level qualification in teaching and learning.
We have designed our programme so you can study aspects of teaching and learning, from pre-school to higher education, without committing to becoming a teacher and keeping your career options open. We give you the flexibility to carve your top-up degree based on your interests and career plan. Initially, you will learn general aspects of teaching and learning, which you can continue with, or should you want to, you can take a pathway in Early Years education or in Special Needs (SEND).
We offer a good grounding to prepare you for a range of education settings and we will also support you with the statutory skills tests if you need to take them.
Wondering what the lecturers are like? Watch our on-demand taster session where lecturer Dr. Paula Daines explores how gender has an impact on the education of children, especially girls, in both the developed and developing world.
Why choose the University of Cumbria?
- All the theory you learn in lecutres and seminars will be backed up practically in your work-based experience to boost your confidence and bolster your CV
- Our strong partnership with educational providers can help you secure placements and enhance your job prospects
- Study in small class groups, so we get to know you well
- Support throughout you studies from a personal tutor
- Flexible nature of the course means you can carve your own course to suit your career path
- Use your existing voluntary work or employment as a work placement
- Work-based placements enhance your academic knowledge
- Use of our educational facilities
- Boost your professional and employability skills throughout your studies
- All tutors have a wealth of experience in teaching
On completion of this course, we will support you in applying to postgraduate QTS skills tests if you wish to progress to a primary PGCE following the course. Alternatively, you may wish to use your qualification to become a teaching assistant, or work in SEN or alternative settings such as prison, museums or heritage environments.