Have a passion for supporting people in their learning? Keen to inspire, but not sure if teaching is the right path?
Well, our course is for you. We have designed our programme so you can study aspects of teaching and learning, from pre-school to higher education, without committing to becoming a teacher and keeping your career options open.
Wondering what the lecturers are like? Watch our on-demand taster session where lecturer Dr. Paula Daines explores how gender has an impact on the education of children, especially girls, in both the developed and developing world.
Your Career with an Education Degree
As a graduate, you can progress to a range of careers in educational or training settings, including private companies, publishing companies, government, museum and heritage sites, prisons, youth clubs, children and community centres. You can also go into further training such as Primary Teaching or Early Years.
This course also offers an array of transferrable skills many employers find attractive and areas of interest include HR, administration and communications.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
We give you the flexibility to carve your degree based on your interests and career plan.
Initially, you’ll learn general aspects of teaching and learning, which you can continue with, or should you want to, you can take a pathway in Early Years Education or in special needs (SEND).
We offer a good grounding to prepare you for a range of educational settings and we’ll also support you with the statutory skills test if you need to take them.
All the theory you learn in lectures and seminars will be backed up practically in your work-based experience. Not only will this boost your confidence, but it’ll bolster your CV.
- We are the top university in the North West for Employability - 9 out of 10 of our graduates go into employment or further study within 15 months of graduating (HESA Graduate Outcomes Survey 2020)
- We have a strong partnership with schools and educational providers which has the potential to help you secure placements and enhance your job prospects
- Study in small class groups, so we get to know you well
- Support throughout your studies from a personal tutor
- Flexible nature of the course means you can carve your own course to suit your career path
- Use your existing voluntary work or employment as a work placement
- Work-based placements enhance your academic knowledge
- Use of our educational facilities
- Boost your professional and employability skills throughout your studies
- All tutors have a wealth of experience in teaching
You’ll gain a good grounding in literacy and numeracy support, together with understanding development and behaviour for a career in a range of educational settings.
After successful completion of the course, we’ll support you in applying to postgraduate QTS programmes and teacher training opportunities if you wish to become a primary school teacher.
You’ll be based in Lancaster, living in a vibrant student city by the spectacular North West coastline and just an hour away from the Lake District National Park and big cities like Manchester. So, whether you want lively or leisurely, you’re within reach of both.