This programme is an exciting, practice-based degree that teaches you key skills in drama, movement, technical theatre and voice with an interdisciplinary focus.
You will develop a portfolio of professional skills tailored to your chosen career path in the creative industries. Our course is designed for people who have a passion for creating performance, a curiosity for ideas, and a desire to discover creative ways of developing and funding projects, festivals and events. You will be challenged at every level to develop your practical skills, critical thinking, entrepreneurship and understanding of the artistic practice. Upon completion, you will be a skilled practitioner, ready for graduate employment or postgraduate study.
Curious about what happens on our course? Follow the action on social media.
Your Career with a Theatre and Performance Degree
Our Theatre and Performance degree is aimed at students who aspire to work in the Creative and Cultural Industries. The portfolio of potential career paths includes performing, teaching, community arts practice, festival and event management, technical management and developing your own theatre company.
Our interdisciplinary focus means you will also have a broad base of transferable skills which are attractive to employers across a range of graduate sectors including hospitality and retail management, marketing, public relations and sales. The Institute of the Arts is a dedicated arts campus, so you may also have the chance to develop work with our Film and TV, Photography, Games Design, Fine Art, Graphics or Illustration students.
But don't just take our word for it. Here is our graduate and Alumnus of the Year 2018, Katie Slavin-Trower. In this quick interview, she speaks about her experience studying at the University of Cumbria and what she has gone on to do as a career. Although Katie didn't study Theatre and Performance when she studied at Cumbria, as this is a new course, her experience and current career perfectly illustrate what this new course is about.
Why Choose University of Cumbria?
We’ll give you the knowledge and skills required for a career in performing arts – but crucially, artistic freedom to explore who you are as an artist and practitioner, so you graduate ready and confident to step into a post in the Creative and Cultural Industries. Indeed, this degree is aimed at giving you all the skills to perform as well as organise and manage creative initiatives.
- Taught by tutors who are active on the performing arts scene, including the English National Opera
- Learn about the creative industries and secure the skills employers demand
- Learn to market yourself as a self-employed actor/actress or producer/manager
- Tutor support when you need it, thanks to small study groups
- Host your performances in our dedicated campus-based Stanwix Theatre
- As the educational partner for Theatre By The Lake, Keswick, you will get a breadth of stage experience – boosting your confidence and helping you to become audition-ready
- Our great connections with current industry organisations give you good networking and job prospects
- Opportunity to perform at the London and Manchester Graduate Showcases
- Bolster your chances of being a self-employed artist by learning how to set up a business and market yourself
- Visits and talks from professional artists to inform, inspire and help develop your work
You’ll be within 20 minutes of Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other. Add to that being nearby the spectacular North West coastline and you’ll never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
You’ll have the opportunity to make good industry contacts thanks to the visiting professionals we bring in to work with you on the course, which has created great job prospects for students.
We’ve also seen former students set up their own theatre companies, kick-start the annual Carlisle Arts Fest and have their theatre-based designs and apps patented.
So, if you’re looking for a course that will take your raw talent and shape it, preparing you for the national stage and to work in the Creative and Cultural Industries as well as boosting your employment prospects, this is it.