Want to make a difference to the lives of children, young people and families?
The programme will develop the knowledge and skills you need for a career across a range of professional areas, or for entry into further postgraduate study. This programme has a number of distinguishing features including: an emphasis on interdisciplinary working, employability, internationalisation, research skills and social justice.
If you’re passionate about working with children and young people aged 0-19 and seek a career boosting their education, health or wellbeing – we’ll harness this with academic knowledge and professional skills to give you the start you need to succeed.
You’ll learn core academic skills in your foundation year to progress onto the full degree where you’ll learn about a variety of issues such as child development, outdoor learning and play, youth justice, equality and diversity and international perspectives.
So, it’s the ideal stepping stone for a range of careers in teaching, health-related professions and in social and youth work.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
This dynamic qualification is the ideal springboard to get alongside young people and community groups within diverse settings. But you won’t just learn about how to do it, you’ll be doing it - whether through assessments or creating reports based on real case studies, or through professional fieldwork practice. The hands-on experience will ease your transition into a professional role.
- Build a good foundation - The integrated foundation year gives you the opportunity to find your feet at university, boost your academic skills and learn the fundamentals about working with young people before starting the full bachelor's degree
- Integrated working - The programme has a strong theme of interdisciplinary work and offers opportunities for interprofessional study, reflecting changes in the youth and community work sector.
- Work experience - Professional placements at each level will equip you with the opportunity to integrate the knowledge, understanding and skills into tangible practice.
- Applied course and assessments – The course features a high number of applied tasks and assessments such as report writing, designing curriculum packs, evaluating services, ensuring that you have all the practical skills you need to go out into the field.
- Highly skilled tutors with strong links in the field – Our tutors are all experienced youth work and community development practitioners and highly skilled researchers. We have links with over 100 youth work organisations across the region and international relationships too. This ensures that your programme is informed by recent practice.
- International placement opportunities – As well as including a globalisation theme, we also offer opportunity to study a semester in Toronto in your level 5 year of study (subject to additional costs).
- Enriched learning - In addition to our experienced tutors, you'll learn from a range of visiting speakers, monthly seminars, annual conferences and termly fieldwork supervisor events
- Fresh research - Our tutors are active researchers, exploring areas such as empowerment and agency, gender and identity in young children and interpersonal violence - which means your studies will be informed by the latest research
- Boost your employability - You'll pick up a range of additional qualifications during your studies, including the Safeguarding Certificate, First Aid Certificate, Mental Health First Aid Lite Certificate and Institute of Leadership and Management Certificate
These benefits mean that you will graduate with confidence in your ability to work, manage and lead in the children’s workforce across the UK.
Whether you want to work in schools, children’s centres, youth offenders or youth and social work, we’ll help you focus on the areas that will enable you to achieve your career goal.
"Child, Young People and Family Studies"
(subj group) scored 100% for Academic Support
- Data derived from NSS 2020
Many of our graduates go on to do postgraduate study such as masters degrees in Social Work and Psychology. We also support students in applying for teaching and nursing further qualifications.