We offer pre-sessional and foundation programmes to help students prepare for the academic demands of studying at undergraduate or postgraduate level.
The pre-sessional programmes are short 6 or 12-week courses which help you develop your skills, grammar and vocabulary for everyday communication and academic study.
The International Foundation Programme is a one-year, full-time course for students who want to study an undergraduate degree programme in the UK, but require further academic knowledge, study skills and possibly English language development.
The pre-sessional programmes are delivered over 15 hours per week, including individual tutorials and independent study. They focus on developing your skills, grammar and vocabulary for everyday communication and academic study.
This programme starts in July and is for Bachelor’s students with an IELTS score of 5 and Masters students with an IELTS score of 5.5.
The focus of the first six weeks of the programme is on general English language and British culture, including an introduction to studying in a UK university.
Course components will include:
- Listening, speaking, reading and writing skills for everyday communication
- Grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation development
- British culture
- Basic study and research skills
The last five weeks of the programme are predominantly academic in nature, with a focus on developing the skills you need for success on your degree programme.
Apply for the 12-week programme
This programme starts in August and is for Bachelor’s students with an IELTS score of 5.5+ and Masters students with an IELTS score of 6+.
You will join the students who started the programme in July. The programme will prepare you for the academic demands of studying at undergraduate or postgraduate level. The programme is thematically organised and predominantly skills-based.
Course components will include:
- Academic listening: listening to podcasts, lectures, and guest speakers; note-taking; preparing for speaking and writing activities
- Academic reading: reading, understanding and critically engaging with academic texts; note-making; preparing for speaking and writing activities
- Academic writing: academic style; structuring ideas effectively; summarizing, paraphrasing, quoting and referencing; developing and supporting an argument.
- Academic speaking: participating in class discussions and debates; leading seminars; giving oral presentations
- More advanced study and research skills
- Grammar and vocabulary for academic use
Apply for the 6-week programme
This one-year, full-time programme is for students who want to study an undergraduate degree programme in the UK, but require further academic knowledge, study skills and possibly English language development.
Students who successfully complete this programme and gain the award of Foundation Certificate will be allowed to progress onto any University of Cumbria undergraduate programme for which they are qualified and for which they have been offered a place.
The programme consists of six modules delivered over two semesters:
- English language development
- Cultural studies
- Introduction to inter-cultural communication
- Academic English
- Skills for academic study
- General academic studies
A variety of teaching and learning methods are employed throughout the course to ensure the acquisition and development of appropriate concepts, knowledge and skills, and to cater to different learning styles.
Everything we do on this programme is aimed at integrating you into the local and academic culture and preparing you for the types of teaching, learning and assessment methods you will encounter on your degree programmes.