Starting university is already stressful without having to move countries as well, so we want to ensure everything goes smoothly. If you’re worried about finances, here’s what you need to get started.

Tuition fees

EU students starting in 2017/18 are entitled to Home Fee status and will be eligible for student loans and grants. This means that you will pay the same amount of tuition fees as UK students for the duration of your course, even past the point that the UK leaves the EU. 

For more details about tuition fees, please click on your study level below.




Part-time and CPD

Accommodation costs

Type of accommodationPrice
Catered university accommodation £80 - £115 per week (including bills)
Self-catered university accommodation £75 - £109 per week (including bills)
Room in the private sector (off campus) £70 - £100 per week (excluding bills - approx. £15 per week)

Tuition fee loans

Students from the EU can borrow a loan to cover the cost of their tuition. This is paid directly to the University of Cumbria in February and May, so you can focus on your studies without worrying about payment.

If you decide to take the loan, you do not need to pay anything at registration. Just bring along your letter from the Student Loans Company to show that you have applied. It’s as easy as that. Please note that this loan will only cover your tuition, however you may be eligible for a grant to cover the living costs of studying in England from the Education Department of your own government. We recommend contacting them to find out more about how to apply-you don’t want to miss out.

Once you’ve finished your time at university, you will start repaying your loan from the April after you graduate, provided that you are earning above £21,000 a year (or the equivalent in your home country). The Student Loans Company will contact you about your employment after graduation. There will be a small amount of interest on the loan-more information about this can be found on the Student Loans Company website.

How to apply

You can apply for your Tuition Fee Loan through the European Union Team of the Student Loans Company. To get started, visit the Direct Gov website and scroll down to ‘New EU Students’. There you will find the forms you need to apply. If you get stuck, get in touch with us to help you out.

Once you’ve started university, should you have any trouble with your funding, our advisers in Student and Staff Services can provide all the support and advice you need. To book an appointment please use our online referral form, or if your enquiry can be answered via email, please contact us on

Book an appointment

Email our money advice team

EU referendum

Self-funded students

If you are a full-time student and you decide not to apply for a tuition fee loan, then you may pay your tuition fees in full or spread out the cost through a maximum of three instalments. To discuss instalments, send us an email.

Instalments are not available for part-time students. Fees must be paid in full at the start of the semester. 

Tuition fee invoices are sent electronically to students university and personal email accounts.

Make a payment - without an invoice

Make a payment - with an invoice

Student Financial Regulations

The Student Financial Regulations describes your contractual obligations to the university regarding finance. It includes our policies about:

Please download and read the regulations before starting your course - Available Here