We use cookies on this website – more information

Cookies are small text files which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website.


Before you arrive

Disclosure & Barring Service (formerly CRB) clearance

Please note that the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) is now known as the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). We will be using the new terminology from this point onwards: what was referred to as a CRB check in your offer is now a ‘DBS check’. 

All students on education, healthcare, child, family and youth work courses are required to complete a DBS check before they are cleared to study.

Please look at our DBS webpage for full information about the process including which students need to apply,  ID documents required, the application process and FAQs.

If you have any queries or have not received information about how to apply for DBS clearance, please contact the admissions team for your course as below:


Medical clearance

Occupational Health services for the University of Cumbria are carried out by Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. This means that the University of Cumbria will share your contact details with that provider and in return the provider will share information about your clearance status e.g. cleared or not cleared.

Where appropriate you healthcare details may be shared with the academic team. Data will be shared securely and will not be shared with any other organisation.

All students on healthcare, education, sports and youth work courses are required to pass a health clearance questionnaire and all healthcare applicants are required to take part in a health assessment interview. More information and download the medical questionnaire form.

Once you have submitted your occupational health declaration form there is no need to contact the Occupational Health service. The Admissions Department will be informed of your clearance. If Occupational Health have any concerns they will contact you directly for further information. You can assume that all is well unless you hear from them.

Qualifications checks

As part of the application process we have sent to you a qualifications form. Please complete and return to us with evidence of your qualifications.

Further information about what we can accept for PGCE students is available in our Qualifications FAQ document.

Candidates with non-UK qualifications who have already had their qualifications checked at interview or orientation day do not need to bring their certificates again.

Arrange accommodation

Accommodation Side ViewCarlisle and Lancaster are good places to live and study. Lively city centres combine with vibrant social scenes and both are close to the Lakes, countryside and coast.

Ambleside is right in the heart of the Lake District National Park. Living costs are relatively cheap compared to most of the UK so all are a good choice for that reason too.

Living in Carlisle

There is a range of accommodation with private landlords available.

Please visit Cumbria StudentPad for more details. We are updating availability on StudentPad everyday so keep checking. Halls in Carlisle are full. For more information contact the Accommodation Officer direct on 01228 616206.

Living in Lancaster
We still have some places in Halls. Please contact the Accommodation Officer direct on 01524 384336.
Living in Ambleside
We still have some places in Halls. We also have availability on Cumbria StudentPad Please contact the Accommodation Officer direct on 01768 893538.

Apply for a student loan or tuition fee loan

Students Using Work AreaFor a complete guide to Student finance visit our Finance section.

If you have not already started an application for student finance:

  1. The deadline for student finance applications based on household income has passed, which means we won’t be able to work out your full entitlement in time for the start of term.
  2. To make sure that you have some student finance available to you as soon as possible after your attendance at university is confirmed, we are initially assessing how much funding you will receive without taking your household income into account.
  3. As part of this initial assessment Student Finance England (SfE) will:
    • Assess your application quickly to make sure you are eligible for student finance
    • Send you a letter, if you are eligible, confirming your entitlement to student finance that is not based on household income, including your basic Maintenance Loan and the Tuition Fee Loan only.
    • Make sure the first payment of any Maintenance Loan you have asked for is available to you once your university or college confirms your attendance
    • Make sure that any Tuition Fee Loan you have asked for is paid directly to your university or college
  4. They will still fully assess your application based on household income once they have received and processed all the information and evidence required to support your application.
    If your parent(s) or partner have already provided financial information and or evidence there is no need to contact us, they will contact you once they have processed it.
  5. If your parent(s) or partner have not yet provided the financial information and or evidence we need, they should do this as soon as possible. If they don’t you will only be entitled to student finance not based on household income.
  6. Once SfE have received and processed all of the information and evidence you send, they will:
    • complete a full assessment of your application using your household income.
    • work out any additional funding you are entitled to.
    • send you a new entitlement letter confirming any additional funding.
    • pay you any difference in your funding as soon as possible.
  7. You can check what information and evidence is required to support your application by logging into your online account at www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinance and following the links to the evidence section.
  8. You must include your national insurance number on the application or your loan instalments may not be paid.
  9. It is important to make sure you have a means of surviving until your money arrives. This could be up to two weeks after your start date and if you apply late or through clearing this is likely to be a few weeks.

If you have already started an application you can now make changes to your student finance application online. Login to your student finance account to change your course, university or college or finance details.

  • If you applied for student finance on paper, you can change these details online. You will need to use the log in details sent to you by Student Finance (England, Wales or NI).
  • You can make this change now – you don’t have to wait for your initial application to be processed.
  • Do this online at:
    Student Finance England
    Student Finance Wales
    Student Finance Northern Ireland
Due to the high volume of requests the Student Finance websites may be experiencing downtime on the online application system. Please keep trying, but you can also apply by downloading the change of circumstances form C01 from the Student Finance websites.

Open a bank account and consider your budget

It is essential that you arrange a bank account before you start your course. All the high street banks offer student accounts and it is worth doing some research into the best offers. Do pay attention to the interest rates charged during your study.

It is important to think about how far your money will go. We appreciate that money is a major factor and we make it our priority to give you all the help we can. Visit our Money Matters section for advice and contacts.

Check whether your possessions will be covered by an insurance policy

Accommodation BedroomYou are responsible for arranging insurance for your own personal possessions. 

There are a lots of insurers and insurance policies available and some specifically designed for students living in halls or private accommodation.

  • Do check your current insurance status, you may be able to extend any home insurance policies you already have.
  • Do try the insurance comparison websites (the ones with the TV adverts are a good starting point) and from there call around suppliers and brokers to get the best value and best cover. 
  • Also see NUS Online.
The university does not accept responsibility for loss of, or damage to, property brought on to university premises and shall be indemnified against any claim, by any person, in respect of injury, or loss of, or damage to property, which may arise directly, or indirectly, from the use of university premises, with the exception of those arising from the negligence of the university, its servants or agents.

Make any childcare arrangements

Early Years Paper BannerFor students in Cumbria

For details of local childcare provision please contact Cumbria County Council’s Children’s Information Service on 08457 125737. 

For students at Lancaster

For details of local childcare provision please contact Lancashire County Council's childcare information services.

Alternatively Library and Student Services (LiSS) may also be able to help with information on local childcare providers.

Make sure your vaccinations are up to date

Make sure your vaccinations for MMR and meningitis are up-to-date. 

If you suffer from a chronic condition, check with your GP about the need for a 'Flu or Pneumonia vaccination.

Meningitis is a life-threatening infectious disease and the student population is the second most at risk group. Find out more at The Meningitis Trust.

Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) are three common childhood illness which can have serious complications. Find out more at NHS Online

Influenza or 'Flu and Pneumonia are illnesses which can have serious consequences for those with existing healthcare conditions.

If you are studying on a healthcare or education related course you will be expected to complete a health questionnaire and may be advised to get additional vaccinations.

Find out how to get to your campus and travel information


MapMaps are available to help you find your campus

Student transport and travel

Car parking

If you have access to a vehicle whilst at University you should ensure you are familiar with the University Traffic Regulations and Car Parking Policy.

Applications for parking permits for University of Cumbria sites must now be made online.

Discounted bus travel

University of Cumbria students can get discounted season tickets for bus travel in Carlisle and Lancaster. For more details of the offer for each town, see the Unirider section of the Stagecoach website. Scroll down to see details for Carlisle; note that for Lancaster the Stagecoach website still refers to the University of Cumbria as ‘St Martins College’.

Rail links

Lancaster and Carlisle are major stations stops on the West Coast mainline as well as being connected to a range of local rail networks.

Velocampus Cumbria

Velocampus Cumbria logo

With the support of Cycling England and Lancaster City Council, the university has put in place a range of initiatives to support and encourage cycling at the Lancaster campus, including a low cost cycle loan scheme for students. All university sites have cycle parking facilities. If you are unsure where they are please ask at the site Reception.

Active Travel Forum

The university has an active travel discussion forum on Blackboard, our Virtual Learning Environment. This is open to all students and staff. Once logged in to Blackboard, click the ‘Community’ tab and then look at ‘Active Travel’ under the heading ‘Institution Discussion Boards’.  

Join the sports centre

Our Sports Centres at Lancaster and Carlisle offer great facilities and great value for money with our students receiving discounted rates.

You can download the application forms for the Sports Centres at Lancaster and Carlisle.

To find out more about the Sports Centre facilities and costs for membership check the web pages for:

Carlisle Sports Centre

Lancaster Sports Complex