Our skilled tradesmen and technicians ensure speed, efficiency and expertise. We provide innovative, flexible, safe and sustainable spaces to improve our students' experience of university.
Facts and Information
The Estates team is responsible for all aspects of maintenance on the university's 38-hectare estate.
This comprises more than 108 academic, administrative and social buildings together with the halls of residence. In addition to our routine and statutory work, the service deals with nearly 11,000 additional maintenance requests each year.
What we do
Managing the sites of our various campuses is a huge task for our Estates team.
Responsibilities of the team in the course of a year include:
- 11,000+ reactive maintenance tasks
- 600 preventative maintenance tasks
- 1,770+ tonnes of waste removed
- 1,000+ room set ups
- 5,600 fire alarm tests
- 500+ fire escape route checks
- 48,000+ emergency light tests
- 2,000+ water system tests
- 3,000+ fire door checks
- 150 courier journeys
- 20+ hectares of grounds maintenance
- 100+ office moves per year
- 100+ keys cut
- 190 microwave leakage tests
- 21,000 PAT tests
- 1,000 fixed electrical tests
- 5,000 external light checks
- 500+ meters read
- 115 gas boilers
- 30 lifts
- 90+ air conditioning units
- 30+ air handling systems
- 500+ extract fans
- 60+ automatic doors and shutters
- 1,100 fire extinguishers
- 200+ CCTV cameras
- 14 lightning protection systems
- 5 semi-automatic movable walls
- 50+ building management systems
- 30+ service contracts
- 3 high voltage substations
- 3 low voltage substations
- 3 emergency generators
- 2.3km of underground gas supplies
- 8km of underground power supplies
We are here to help
If you experience any maintenance faults (such as flickering lights, broken heating, faulty air-conditioning, blocked drains, damaged furniture, leaking roofs), they can be reported through our Richmond portal.
For staff: An Icon is on your desktop which will take you to the support screen where you can log your calls.
For students: A tile has been added to the Student Hub - this will take you to the support screen where you can log your calls.
In addition, the Estates & Property department is also responsible for carrying out other minor works required within the University, for example fitting new shelves, space alteration, and installing new electrical outlets or light fittings.
If you encounter a problem or need alterations to your workspace, you can contact our Estates & Property team for your campus:
Lancaster Ext 5880; Carlisle Ext 6394; Ambleside Ext 5274.
You can also email email@example.com
When should you contact us?
If you experience any maintenance faults (such as flickering lights, broken heating, faulty air-conditioning, blocked drains, damaged furniture, leaking roofs), then please log a task on the Richmond Portal.
Emergency and Urgent Maintenance Requests
For urgent problems which cannot wait until the next working morning to be actioned, contact security: Lancaster - 01524 590800; Carlisle - 01228 616234; Ambleside - 015394 30274.
The security team will then contact the on-call staff to deal with the problem.
Minor Works Requests
Minor Works is a term used to describe changes, upgrades, additions, alterations to buildings and infrastructure. This is not to be confused with maintenance which covers repairs to and up-keep of existing building elements. For example, minor works would involve relocating a desk or tidying cables, whereas maintenance would be fixing damaged electrical cables and items.
Northern Security Ltd hold the contract to provide security services for all of the University of Cumbria's campuses.
All enquiries should be directed to your campus Reception desk.
Whilst our campuses are in low crime areas, precautions can be taken to reduce the risks further:
- Lock ALL external doors and windows when rooms are unoccupied even if only for a short time
- Never put expensive items in view of windows
- Carry your bank cards with you at all times
- Report crime or vandalism immediately to enable early action and repair
- Strangers seen wandering on campus should be reported to security or reception
- Ambleside: 015394 30274 (contact Lancaster security after 1am)
- Carlisle Brampton Road: 01228 400300 (contact Fusehill St after 8pm)
- Carlisle Fusehill Street: 01228 616234
- Lancaster: 01524 590800
We do not have a permanent police presence on any of our campuses, so call 999 in an emergency. If you need to do this, please let reception know immediately.
You can also speak with Reception or night security staff who may call the police or contact the Residential Life Team.
All our campuses have Community Police Officers, whose details can be found online:
- Carlisle and Ambleside campuses - Type the postcode into 'Your Neighbourhood'
- Lancaster campus - Type the postcode into 'My Area'
For more information about Northern Security, please visit their website.
We use contractors to provide a wide variety of services, from major building projects to routine services. The university has produced a comprehensive document that outlines how we manage our relationship with external suppliers.
Estates Strategy 2014 -24
Our estate strategy over the next ten years is to retain a physical presence in all six current locations (Ambleside, Carlisle, the Energy Coast, Furness, Lancaster and London), and to undertake a strategic programme of rationalisation, space re-allocation, targeted facilities management (FM) initiatives, service improvements and major capital works on a location by location basis; improving the functionality and performance of the academic campus and student residences to create the best possible environment for students and staff to engage with learning, teaching, research and enterprise.
Lancaster: 01524 590880
Carlisle: 01228 616394
Estates and Property Contacts
Andy Gravett, Head of Estates & Property
Daniel Jones, Estates & Property Manager
Ray McGahon, Estates Manager South
Alan Ewing, Estates Manager North
Ben Pritchard, Electrical Services Engineer
Gail Staton, Space Utilisation Manager