We use cookies on this website – more information

Cookies are small text files which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website.


Full-time undergraduate

Tuition fees for 2015/16

 Course Home and EUInternational
BA, BSc, BEng or LLB £9,000 £10,500
DipHE or CertHE £9,000 £10,500
FdA or FdSc £7,000 £10,500
BA, BSc (with integrated foundation year) £4,500 (year 1)
£9,000 (year 2-4)
Year 0 £6,000 (year 1)
£9,000 (year 2-4)
£7,500 (year 1)
£10,500 (year 2-4)
Sandwich or placement year £1,500 £1,500

Students starting between 1 August 2014 and 31 July 2015

Courses starting between 1 August 2014 and 31 July 2015 are part of the 2014/15 academic year. As such, the tuition fees are based on the 2014/15 rates below.

Tuition fees for 2014/15
 Course Home EUInternational
BA, BSc, BEng or LLB £9,000 £9,000 £10,500
DipHE or CertHE £9,000 £9,000 £10,500
FdA or FdSc £7,000 £7,000 £10,500
Year 0 £6,000 (year 1)
£9,000 (year 2-4)
£6,000 (year 1)
£9,000 (year 2-4)
£7,500 (year 1)
£10,500 (year 2-4)
Sandwich or placement year £1,000 £1,000 £1,500

Continuing students

ILM Courses

For information on ILM course tuition fees and funding please contact Kim Shuttleworth.

What does this really mean for you and your family?

If you are a UK or EU undergraduate student, you may be eligible to apply for a student finance loan and/or grant to help with the cost of your tuition and living fees. Information can be found online and you can also find more information on how to apply for student finance.

There are also a range of bursaries that you may be eligible to receive.

Tuition fee and maintenance loans

Students from the UK and EU can apply for a loan to help with the cost of university fees. There are two types of loans you may be able to apply for: tuition fee and maintenance loans.

Tuition fee loans

Full time and part time students from the UK or EU can apply for a tuition fee loan up to £9000.

  • This is paid directly to the University on your behalf each year
  • The loan is not means-tested meaning that you can apply for the maximum amount regardless of household income.

Maintenance loan

Full time students from the UK can apply for a maintenance loan to assist with meeting living costs such as food, accommodation and travel expenses.

  • Maintenance loans are usually paid in three instalments throughout the university year to your nominated bank account.

Depending on household income, students may be able to apply for the following amounts:

 Living at Home  Up to £4565
 Living away from home (outside of London)  Up to £5740
 Living away from home (in London)  Up to £8009
 Studying abroad (for 1 year)  Up to £6820

Sandwich or placement year

If you're eligible, you may be able to access a reduced rate maintenance loan. The amount depends on where you live during the year:

  • £2,425 (if you live away from home and study outside London)
  • £3,405 (if you live away from home and study in London)
  • £1,819 (if you live with parents)

Applying for a student loan

If you are a UK or EU student and you would like to apply for a student loan, you can apply online or find out how to apply for student finance.

Maintenance grants

These are non-repayable living cost grants which some students may be entitled to depending on their household income to assist with costs such as accommodation, food and travel expenses. From September 2015 students may be entitled to the following amounts:

 Full time student household income  Maintenance Grant
 £25,000 or less  £3,387
 £30,000  £2,441
 £35,000  £1,494
 £40,000  £547
 £42,620  £50
 Over £42,620  No grant

For every £1 of maintenance grant awarded, maintenance loan amounts are reduced by 50p.

You can look at how much loan you are entitled to apply for using the Student Finance Calculator.

Please note - previous years of study at higher education level can affect future funding and can affect the amount of funding you receive - please seek further advice from an adviser.

Sandwich or placement year

A maintenance grant is not normally available to students on placement except to students on certain specified unpaid placements in the public or voluntary sectors:

  • Unpaid service in a hospital or in a public health service laboratory or with a primary care trust in the UK;

  • Unpaid service with a local authority in the UK acting in the exercise of its functions relating to the care of children and young persons, health or welfare, or with a voluntary organisation providing facilities or carrying out activities of a like nature in the UK;

  • Unpaid service in the prison or probation and aftercare service in the UK;

  • Unpaid research in a UK institution or, in the case of a student attending an overseas institution as a part of his course in an overseas institution;

  • Unpaid service with a Health Authority, a Strategic Health Authority, a Special Health Authority or a Local Health Board; a Health Board or a Special Health Board in Scotland; or a Health and Social Services Board in Northern Ireland.

Maintenance funding from September 2016

Please note that for English, non-NHS students applying for entry from September 2016, the government have signalled their intention to remove means-tested maintenance grants and replace them with extra levels of maintenance loans – which may allow for an overall higher level of award. It is likely that this extra level of maintenance loan will be means tested.  2015/16 (or earlier) students’ existing packages should not be affected. We anticipate that further information about this will be confirmed in October 2015.

Scholarships and bursaries

Cumbria Bursaries

The university offers a limited number of bursaries to assist with the costs of study. We support applications from all sections of the community and offers financial aid through the Cumbria Bursary and Progression Awards which are designed to help students with a household income of less than £25,000. The bursaries are non-repayable and will be allocated after 31 August 2015. Students will be told if they have been allocated a bursary in September 2015.

In 2015/16 we have up to 139 full-time Cumbria Bursary awards worth £3,000 in total - £1,000 per year for a maximum of three years. We also offer up to have 21 part-time Cumbria Bursary awards (worth £1,500 in total over the first three years of the course - £500 cash in each year). Recipients must be studying at least 50% and registered on a minimum three year award. 

For more information on these and other Bursaries offered by the university visit our scholarships and bursaries page.

Additional support

For students with children

  • Parents’ Learning Allowance - means-tested on household income. Maximum available £1,573.
  • Childcare Grant - means-tested on household income. A maximum of 85% of your weekly childcare costs may be paid on your behalf, up to £155.24 per week for one child and £266.15 per week for two or more children. For example, if childcare for one child is £150, you may receive a £127.50 grant (85% of £150). 

For students with adult dependants

  • Adult Dependants’ Grant - means-tested on household income. Maximum available £2,757. 

For students with a disability or specific learning difficulty

  • Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)— students with a disability or specific learning difficulty may be eligible to receive help towards enabling costs; eg non-medical helper, specialist equipment etc. 

For more information on additional support, go to: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/extra-help

How to apply

To apply for your student loan, you will need to contact the relevant student funding authority for the area in which you live. Your loan application is likely to take around 2 months to finalise so it is important to complete your application as soon as possible to avoid any delay in receiving your funds. You can apply online directly or download the relevant application forms using the links below.

Applications will usually open in February of each year and it is recommended that you complete your application by the end of May (new students) or June (continuing students) to avoid any unnecessary delays to your funding.

You do not need to have an offer of a place before you apply. Think which
university and course would be your first choice and put this on your application. You can change this information very easily online later. Find out more about how to apply for student finance for information on the application process.

Apply online to Student Finance England
Helpline number: 0300 100 0607.

Northern Ireland
Apply online to Student Finance Northern Ireland
Helpline number: 0300 100 0077 
Or through your Education Library Board.

Apply online to Student Finance Wales
Helpline number: 0300 200 4050
Or through your Local Authority.

Apply online to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland
Helpline number: 0300 555 0505