The aim of the module is to develop the knowledge and skills needed by those who are, or who aspire to be, coaches and/or mentors within an organisational context.
This module aims to both broaden and deepen your engagement with relevant coaching and mentoring literature and skills development. You will critically evaluate your experience and use in-depth reflection in order to synthesise and contextualise this into your own practice within the work place.
The running of this module is dependent on there being sufficient numbers of interest.
This module can count towards the MSc Coaching and Mentoring.
Download the personal statement guide
Get top tips on how to write the best university personal statementDownload Here
Indicative module content includes: behavioural change models; self assessment of personal coaching and mentoring skills; coaching and mentoring theory, models and approaches; contracting and ethical issues in relation to coaching and mentoring; facilitation skills; problem solving techniques; reflective practice; the coaching cycle; developing self awareness.
On successful completion you will be able to:
- Critically review and systematically evaluate the role and contribution of coaching and mentoring to individuals and organisations
- Critically review your own ability to perform effectively as a coach/mentor, engaging in peer coaching/mentoring to seek advice on individual performance
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of coaching and mentoring theory and models, that inform practice
- Design an individualised detailed coaching and mentoring intervention for use in practice, (with measurable outcomes), by synthesising coaching and mentoring approaches from different perspectives
- Provide a detailed critical reflection of your experience of the process involved in coaching and mentoring, with a critical evaluation that identifies areas for improvement in your own coaching and mentoring practice, and how you intend to develop your skills in these areas
Indicative core bibliograph
- Whitmore J (2009) Coaching for Performance; GROWing Human Potential and Purpose. Nicholas Brealey Publishing, London
- Parsloe E & Leedham M (2009) Coaching and Mentoring: Practical Conversations to Improve Learning, Koogan Page, London
- 25/09/2019 & 26/09/2019
- 27/11/2019 & 28/11/2019
Assessment, Feedback, and Teaching and Learning methods
Full details are available in the programme specification.
The teaching timetable should be available from the end of August. Access to the timetable is through the Student Hub – you will be able to access the Student Hub after you have completed online registration. The teaching day is 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday; please keep your other commitments open until confirmation of your teaching timetable, and bear in mind that many courses will offer placements or fieldwork which sometimes extends into the evenings and weekends.
Have a question about our entry requirements?
Evidence of prior successful study at underpinning level.
You must demonstrate the ability to study at this level and commit to attempting the assessment.
When taken as part of a specific named award, the module content and assessment must be focused towards the subject of that award. Completion of the formative components will support you in undertaking the summative assessment.
The closing date for applications is 5 working days prior to the module start date or, if this is your first module, 5 working days prior to the induction date.
Please note that the direct entry application system will not recognise your current Student IT Network login. Please select the New User option from the Apply Now button.
All students will need to purchase stationery, course books and personal equipment. Extra costs may also be applicable to cover field trips, membership fees etc.
Resources and facilities
We are amongst the UK's leading health departments and are proud of the high level of support we are able to offer to our students.
We provide a wide range of high-quality courses supported by expert academic and clinical practice staff. If you join us you will enjoy great facilities and learn alongside caring, committed and experienced professionals. Our employment record is excellent.