If you're interested in becoming a solicitor, barrister or anything to do with the exciting world of the law, our course - accredited by Solicitors Regulation Authority and The Bar Standards Board – gives you the best possible start.
You'll learn academic legal skills, but also how to interview clients, provide successful mediation and negotiate as a team, with opportunity to get plenty of hands-on experience, including working with clients, mooting and mock court proceedings, shadowing the Judiciary in Cumbria and Advocacy training days.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
We’re a modern, practice-oriented, forward-thinking law school and our teaching staff are experts in academia and legal professional work. They’ll share their experience to give you a great insight into pursuing a career in the legal profession.
Plus, we have received 100% course satisfaction in the 2017 National Student Survey (NSS) and came second in the UK for student satisfaction for tutor feedback (Guardian League Tables 2017).
- Opportunity to work in law firms and local businesses alongside your law degree
- You'll love our in-house mooting society and can take part in competitive mooting, both in-house and nationally against other universities and organisations, bolstering vital professional and courtroom skills
- You’ll have the opportunity to participate in negotiation competitions – boosting your CV
- Our law team consists of former practising solicitors and barristers with national and international experience
- Opportunities to use your academic skills practically via our Street Law project, in which you research and advise on real legal issues to clients in our local community
- You’ll have the option to do a placement in a local law firm or legal service provider so you get work-based learning
- Small class sizes mean we get to know you as an individual to give you personalised support
- You’ll have access to the criminal courts for mock trials, presided over by real judges
- We have excellent links with local law firms and legal service providers and a strong working relationship with Solicitors Regulator Authority and the Law Society, which will give you vital professional insights, good placement and job prospects
- Through our Personal Development Planning you’ll develop employability skills, including support in CV writing
- Our unique virtual Law clinic platform enables you to develop digital lawyering skills training, boosting your awareness and application of legal ethics, professional values and responsibility
- Opportunity to work on international negotiation projects with students from international and European jurisdictions
You’ll study in Carlisle, only 20 minutes from Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other, so you’ll never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
Our philosophy lies in ensuring that you graduate with strong legal and academic skills with an applied understanding of the modern professional sector, so you can make a real difference in using the law to improving the life of others in our communities.
Not only has our course earned a great reputation, but we’ve seen former students represent us in a number of prestigious national competitions.
So, you can be confident that by studying with us, you're learning the right skills to become a big success in the legal world.
*Guardian League Tables 2017
Many of our full-time programmes can be studied over a longer period on a part-time basis. Please contact the course enquiries team for further details.
Special offer for 2017
Students who apply between 17 August and 30 September 2017 will receive a £500 University of Cumbria Kickstart bursary.