The University of Cumbria is a member of the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) and we operate in accordance with their Code of Ethics.
We recommend that our international students sign up to the monthly UKCISA student newsletter.
We have a number of dedicated support services that you can access both before you travel to the UK and once you are here.
Airport Transfer Service
We know that travelling can be confusing and stressful, especially if you have travelled a long distance or are arriving into a new country for the first time.
The University of Cumbria provides an Airport Meet and Greet and Transfer Service for new students arriving into Manchester International Airport to help you get your bearings, navigate your way to your campus and/or your chosen term-time accommodation and settle in.
Please note that the Airport Transfer Service is only available to new students arriving on certain dates and times from Amber or Green List countries.
How to book your Airport Transfer
To apply for and book the Airport Transfer Service please complete the online Airport Transfer Application Form available here, then click the submit button.
Once you have submitted your form, you will receive an email from the International Team to confirm receipt of your application.
You will receive further confirmation emails, which will explain all your transport details, once your airport pick up is confirmed, at least 3 to 5 days before you travel.
If you are arriving into Manchester International Airport on the dates listed below, between the hours of 09:00 and 17:00 (BST) we will provide you with a free transfer service to your campus accommodation. You will be transported to your accommodation safely by either coach or taxi.
Arrivals from Amber List countries:
- Wednesday 1 September 2021
- Thursday 2 September 2021
- Friday 3 September 2021
- Saturday 4 September 2021
Arrivals from Green List countries:
- Tuesday 13 September
- Wednesday 14 September
You will need to apply to book onto the service, providing your Student ID number, mobile phone number and term-time address, plus details of your flight, including flight number, country travelling from, scheduled flight arrival date and time.
Free Self-Isolation Accommodation for Students from Amber List Countries
If you are an International student coming to study with us in August/September 2021 and are travelling into England from an Amber List country, the University of Cumbria is able to offer free on-campus accommodation whilst self-isolating.
Full details are available here.
To book your on-campus self-isolation accommodation, please email: email@example.com
The International Team will provide you with the following information and guidance to support you on your journey to study with us:
- Information you need for your visa application and UK immigration
- Guidance about living in the UK, our culture and local area information
- Preparing to study at a UK university – access to our free online pre-entry Head Start course designed to help you develop your academic skills
- Detailed information about accommodation available on campus
- Travel information guidance and updates
International Registration will be held on Friday 17 September 2021. We will send you details so that you can pre-register online and provide relevant information.
To register as a University of Cumbria International Student, you will need to bring the following documentation with you:
- A valid passport (containing your vignette / visa)
- All your original certificates and/or diplomas as listed in your CAS or offer letter
- Your Biometric Residence Permit
- Your accommodation contract or letter (or evidence that you have arranged accommodation at a private address less than one hour’s travel from your campus)
- Your Tuberculosis (TB) screening and chest x-ray (if you are required to have one)
International Orientation provides you with the opportunity to relax, make new friends and get your bearings ahead of the formal University Induction and Welcome Programme.
We provide a 2-day programme of talks, activities, social gatherings and information sessions, all designed to help you acclimatise, overcome your jet lag and settle in before you start your studies.
Some of these sessions are compulsory as they provide information about your responsibilities as a Student Visa holder and an introduction to important services within the University.
Full details will be sent to you via email at least two weeks before the start date.
University Induction and Welcome Week
Once you have completed International Orientation you will join your classmates in the University-wide Induction programme and Welcome Week events. Further details can be found here.
International Student Services
The International Team will provide you will the following information and guidance to support you on your journey to study with us:
- Access to all university student services including money advice, counselling, disability, careers and study support
- Opportunities for organised visits to local places of interest such as the Lake District and Manchester Christmas markets
- Opportunities to meet other international and home students through campus-based events
- International Student Ambassadors and Student Engagement Coordinators who can help you with queries you may have as you progress through your course
Progression and Employment
- Advice about the amount of paid or voluntary work you can undertake under your visa approval
- Information about the new Graduate Immigration Route and Post-Study Work Visa
- Information about opportunities for further study or employment on completion of your course
- Guidance on visa extensions and in country visa applications
For more information, please contact our International Team by calling +44 (0)1524 590891, or send us an email.