Current and prospective International Students


Are you are an international student & would you like to learn more about studying in the UK at the University of Cumbria?

If so, Fill out our quick online enquiry form and someone will be in touch in the next 48 hours:

Online Enquiry Form



Important update 

  • From 5 October 2020, the Student route will replace the Tier 4 route
  • The Student route, which falls under the UK's new points-based immigration system, improves on the previous Tier 4 route making for a more streamlined experience for both sponsoring institutions and students
  • TheTier 4 visa is being phased out. All new and prospective students (who do not already have a visa or have not already received a CAS) will apply for a visa via the new Student route
  • Visas that have been issued through the Tier 4 route are still valid and those eligible will still be able to apply for the Graduate Route when it opens in summer 2021
  • The Graduate Route will be available to international students who have completed a degree at undergraduate level or above at a Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance and who have a valid Student (or Tier 4) visa at the time of application.

 More information about the UK’s new points-based immigration system can be found on the UK Government's website.

EU, EEA and Swiss Students

For more details please see the information provided on our EU/EEA page.

Where can I find further information and advice?

More information on visas, immigration and working in the UK is available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Frequently Asked Questions

How much money do I need in my account before I can apply for my visa?

Before you apply for your Tier 4 visa, you must provide evidence that you have enough money in your bank account to pay any outstanding tuition fees, plus £1015 for each month of study up to a maximum of 3 months.  

For example, if your course lasts 12 months, you need to show your remaining tuition fee and 9 x £1015 = £9135.  The amount must have been in your bank account for a minimum of 28 days before we will issue you with a CAS.

Do I need to register with the police?

If your biometric residence permit or decision letter says that you need to register with the police then you must do this, normally within seven days of arrival. If you arrive before Welcome Week, do not delay your police registration.

What are my responsibilities as a Tier 4 visa holder?

It is a privilege to hold a Tier 4 visa. It is your visa and your responsibility to protect your right to remain in the UK. Your responsibilities include:

  • Informing the university and the Home Office of any changes of address
  • Engaging fully with your academic programme. This means attending your classes regularly and completing all work required by your course tutors
  • Informing the Course Information Point (CIP) and your course tutor of any absences e.g. through illness
  • Living sufficiently close to the university campus to ensure you are not late for class and engage fully with all learning opportunities e.g. library work, group study outside classes etc.

Can I take a part-time job while I am studying in the UK?

If you are studying on a Short-term Study visa, you are not allowed to take any work, paid or voluntary. If you are on a Tier 4 visa, the amount of work you may take is written on the visa. This will normally be 20 hours per week during term time, so if you work for more than one employer, or undertake some voluntary work alongside paid work, the total hours of work must not exceed 20 hours. Exceeding 20 hours is a very serious breach of your visa conditions and you will be reported to the Home Office and may lose your right to remain in the UK.

Can I travel to Europe on my Tier 4 visa?

No. Your Tier 4 visa does not allow you to travel to Europe. You will need to apply for a Schengen visa

What should I do if I need to return home during my studies?

Any travel must be undertaken during university holiday periods. If you need to return home because of a family emergency or illness, you must discuss this with your tutor and the CIP. We may recommend that you take a break in your studies (intercalate) and return to study at a later date.

Can I stay in the UK to work after graduation?

You cannot remain in the UK on your Tier 4 visa after you have graduated. Our sponsorship finishes on the final day of your leave to remain. In order to avoid the risk of staying in the UK illegally, you must leave the UK or submit a further visa application before your current visa expires. If you have achieved a good degree and have a business idea you wish to pursue in the UK, we can help you apply for sponsorship under the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur route.

Edit Page
Chat to a student on The Access Platform