BSc (Hons) - Psychology with Counselling and Psychotherapy
Do you have an inquiring mind and enjoy debating ideas, with a desire to listen to and support others? On this psychology with counselling and psychotherapy degree, you will explore the human experience across a range of contexts and lifespans.
Our BSc (Hons) Psychology with Counselling and Psychotherapy will enable you to discover everything you're capable of. You will develop the academic knowledge and practical skills needed to competently and compassionately help people explore their difficulties, express their feelings and work towards deeper self-awareness and understanding. What’s more, our psychology courses are ranked 1st in the North West and 11th in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2023 Results).
On this degree programme, you will explore human experience across a range of contexts and lifespans, from understanding the biological basis of behaviour to questioning the impact of social media on child development. You will learn the academic knowledge and practical skills you need to help make a difference in the lives of others. You’ll learn from industry-expert tutors through lectures, seminars and other learning opportunities.
Studying psychology with counselling and psychotherapy at the University of Cumbria will help you to develop the knowledge and skills you need for a successful career in psychology or counselling/psychotherapy. This standout course adheres to the training requirements of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). Upon graduation, you will be eligible to apply for individual membership of the BACP and apply for registration, subject to passing the BACP Proficiency.
On this course you will...
- Have the opportunity to explore and apply psychological literature to current issues, contexts and experiences.
- Develop key knowledge, skills and abilities to help you prepare to become a counsellor or psychotherapist, or develop a career in related psychotherapeutic professions.
- Be able to choose topics and areas that you want to learn more about to tailor your learning experience on your psychology degree.
- Be taught and given high-quality support and guidance by our expert lecturing team, who are active in research and practices.
- Have the opportunity to get involved in a range of extracurricular activities including sessions by experts in the field of psychology and counselling.
- Benefit from our excellent links with regional and national charities, not-for-profit and penal institutions to gain work experience and enhance your job prospects.
Carlisle - Fusehill Street Campus
The Fusehill Street campus has been the setting of life-saving treatments since World War I. Now, it's home to world changers, life-savers, crime fighters, and entrepreneurs with access to high-quality facilities and innovative thinking.Find out more
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.