The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks the criminal records background of people who wish to work with children and vulnerable groups.
Please note: This information is for new students. If you are a student returning to course or with a deferred/resit placement, please contact the Programme Administration (PAD) team.
Getting your DBS check
There are three elements to getting your DBS check: -
- complete our online application form. You need to pay the DBS fee at this stage unless you are coming to do certain specifc professional Health courses (see ‘Is there a cost for this?’ below);
- have your identity verified by providing certain ID documents;
- receive your DBS certificate.
If you wish to join the DBS Update Service as well, you can do so after either point 2. or 3: please see below and the 'Update Service' link at the bottom of this page for further information.
You will be sent instructions in an email on completing our online DBS application. Please bear in mind the following: -
- You must apply for your DBS check via the University of Cumbria, not another organisation;
- Basic level DBS checks (which you can now obtain yourself as an individual) will not be acceptable;
- Checks obtained via Disclosure Scotland or Access Northern Ireland will not be acceptable, unless we have specifically asked you to obtain this type of check: this applies only to Return to Practice applicants doing their clinical experience in Scotland or Northern Ireland.
Having your identity verified
There are different options open to you according to where you live: -
Mainland UK and Northern Ireland: applicants will be asked to go to your nearest participating Post Office. Please be aware that not all Post Office branches offer the service required: for further information please see the guidance in Providing ID Documents. You should take care when searching the Post Office's Branch Finder for one that offers the service required, as there are three similar options. The only compatible one is called 'CRB & ID Verification Service': please see Providing ID Documents for more information.
Isle of Man; Channel Islands; Isles of Scilly and all overseas countries, including Republic of Ireland: applicants will be asked to go to an appropriate professional local to you. Please see Providing ID Documents for more information.
You can view the list of acceptable ID documents here.
We encourage you to register with the DBS Update Service
- You can join the Update Service (if you wish) a day or so after you have completed the application form and had your identity documents verified.
Make sure you receive your certificate
- Finally - you need to be in receipt of your DBS certificate: please look out for this in the post. It will be posted to you by the DBS; it does not come via or from the University.
- You can also join the Update Service now, on receipt of your certificate, within a limited time.