BSc (Hons) - Psychology with Counselling and Psychotherapy with Integrated Foundation Year
Do you have an inquiring mind and enjoy debating ideas, with a desire to listen to and support others? On this psychology with counselling and psychotherapy foundation degree, you will explore the human experience across a range of contexts and lifespans.
Our foundation year will help you on your way to achieving the full BSc (Hons) Psychology with Counselling and Psychotherapy. This course is designed to help you develop the skills needed to competently and compassionately help people explore their difficulties, express their feelings and work towards deeper self-awareness and understanding. What’s more, our psychology degrees are ranked 1st in the North West and 11th in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2023 Results).
If you are passionate about pursuing a career in psychology, counselling or psychotherapy but do not have the qualifications for direct entry, our foundation year offers a supportive alternative route into higher education.
On this degree course you will explore human experience across a range of contexts and lifespans, from understanding the biological basis of behaviour to questioning the impact of social media on child development. You will learn the academic knowledge and practical skills you need to help make a difference in the lives of others.
Accredited by the BPS, you will be able to apply for a Graduate Basis for Chartership, helping you develop the knowledge and skills for a successful career in psychology or counselling/psychotherapy. This standout course adheres to the training requirements of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. Upon graduation, you will be eligible to apply for individual membership of the BACP and apply for registration, subject to passing the BACP Proficiency.
On this course you will...
- Explore and apply psychological literature to current issues, contexts and experiences.
- Develop key knowledge, skills and abilities to help you prepare to become a counsellor, psychotherapist, or develop a career in related psychotherapeutic professions.
- Develop your knowledge and build a solid foundation of the core skills needed to progress from the foundation year onto the full BSc (Hons) Psychology with Counselling and Psychotherapy degree.
- Be taught and given high-quality support and guidance by our expert lecturing team, who are active in research and practices.
- Have the opportunity to get involved in a range of extracurricular activities including sessions by experts in the field of psychology and counselling.
- Benefit from our excellent links with regional and national charities, not-for-profit and penal institutions to gain work experience and enhance your job prospects.
Carlisle - Fusehill Street Campus
The Fusehill Street campus has been the setting of life-saving treatments since World War I. Now, it's home to world changers, life-savers, crime fighters, and entrepreneurs with access to high-quality facilities and innovative thinking.Find out more
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.