If you're interested in becoming a solicitor, barrister or anything to do with the exciting world of the law, our course - accredited by Solicitors Regulation Authority and The Bar Standards Board – gives you the best possible start.
You'll learn academic legal skills, but also how to interview clients, provide successful mediation and negotiate as a team, with opportunity to get plenty of hands-on experience, including working with clients, mooting and mock court proceedings, shadowing the Judiciary in Cumbria and Advocacy training days.
On our foundation degree you'll gain the academic skills you require to progress onto the full degree programme.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
We’re a modern, practice-oriented, forward-thinking law school and our teaching staff are experts in academia and legal professional work. They’ll share their experience to give you a great insight into pursuing a career in the legal profession.
- Our law team consists of former practising solicitors and barristers with national and international experience
- You’ll have access to the criminal courts for mock trials, presided over by real judges
- You’ll have the option to do a placement in a local law firm or legal service provider so you get work-based learning
- We have excellent links with local law firms and legal service providers and a strong working relationship with Solicitors Regulator Authority and the Law Society, which will give you vital professional insights, good placement and job prospects
- Opportunities to use your academic skills practically via our Street Law project, in which you research and advise on real legal issues to clients in our local community
- Our unique virtual Law clinic platform enables you to develop digital lawyering skills training, boosting your awareness and application of legal ethics, professional values and responsibility
- Opportunity to work on international negotiation projects with students from international and European jurisdictions
- You'll love our in-house mooting society and can take part in competitive mooting, both in-house and nationally against other universities and organisations, bolstering vital professional and courtroom skills
- You’ll have the opportunity to participate in negotiation competitions – boosting your CV
- Small class sizes mean we get to know you as an individual to give you personalised support
- Through our Personal Development Planning you’ll develop employability skills, including support in CV writing
You’ll study in Carlisle, only 20 minutes from Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other, so you’ll never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
Our philosophy lies in ensuring that you graduate with strong legal and academic skills with an applied understanding of the modern professional sector, so you can make a real difference in using the law to improving the life of others in our communities.
Not only has our course earned a great reputation, but we’ve seen former students represent us in a number of prestigious national competitions.
So, you can be confident that by studying with us, you're learning the right skills to become a big success in the legal world.