Dr Mary Farrell, PhD
- Lecturer in Zoology
- Institute of Science and Environment
- Email: email@example.com
- Location: Carlisle - Fusehill Street
I am a Zoologist with an expertise in animal behaviour of mammals. I have always been passionate about animals and during school and university I volunteered with numerous animal welfare organisations. I found these roles to be extremely rewarding, and so I undertook my degree in Zoology and my PhD in Behavioural Ecology (which focussed on exploring sexual selection and sexual conflict in fallow deer) as I wanted to work as a lecturer in a role that would allow me to investigate animal behaviour and promote animal welfare. I have over 20 years’ experience of working in a higher education environment in multiple capacities and still volunteer with a number of animal welfare charities. I am enthusiastic about providing a research focussed teaching atmosphere and working with students to support them to undertake, present and publish their research.
Qualifications and memberships
- PhD Behavioural Ecology
- BSc (Hons) Zoology
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education
- Senior Fellow of Advance HE
- Member of The Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour
- Member of International Society for Applied Ethology
Academic and research interests
- Behavioural ecology of wild mammals with a particular focus on sexual selection and sexual conflict
- Understanding the crossroads between animal ethics and animal welfare
- Exploring the extent, scope, and context of human obligations to nonhuman animals
- Using an applied approach to investigate contemporary animal welfare issues in companion and captive wild animals
Seager, C., Wroe, Y., Baron, M., Farrell, M. and Hadwin, C. (2016) Methodologies used to test the palatability of nutraceuticals. The Veterinary Nurse. 6: 1: 4-11
Farrell, M.E., Briefer, E. and McElligott, A.G. (2011) Assortative mating in fallow deer reduces the strength of sexual selection. PLoS One, 6(4): p.e18533.
Briefer, E.F., Farrell, M.E., Hayden, T.J. and McElligott, A.G., (2013) Fallow deer polyandry is related to fertilization insurance. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 67: 657-665.
Corrigan, R. and Farrell, M. (eds) (2010) Ethics: A University Guide. Progressive Frontiers Press: Gloucester.
Corrigan, R.H. and Farrell, M.E., (eds) 2009. Philosophical Frontiers: essays and emerging thoughts. Progressive Frontiers Press: Gloucester.