Peter is a computer scientist with research interest in novel human computer interaction and medical image computing. His research makes extensive use of eye tracking devices to analyse the visual gaze of observers making diagnostic decisions. He was been involved in national and international collaborations and specialises in gaze tracking for 3D modality interpretation. Peter is involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, and is the programme leader for the Healthcare Science Graduate Diploma programme at the University of Cumbria.
Qualifications and memberships
- PhD in Medical Image Computing
Academic and research interests
- Medical Image Computing
- Eye tracking
- Human Computer Interaction
- Fanshawe, T. R., Phillips, P., Plumb, A., Emma, H., Halligan, S., Taylor, S. A., Gale, A., and Mallett, S. (2016). Do prevalence expectations affect patterns of visual search and decision-making in interpreting ct colonography endoluminal videos? The British Journal of Radiology, 20150842. PMID: 26903391. doi: 10.1259/bjr.20150842
- Venjakob, A.C., Marnitz, T., Phillips, P., and Mello-Thoms, C.R. (2016) Image Size Influences Visual Search and Perception of Hemorrhages When Reading Cranial CT: An Eye-Tracking Study. Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 2016 PMID: 0018720816630450 doi: 10.1177/0018720816630450
- Plumb AA, Fanshawe TR, Phillips P, Mallett S, Taylor SA, Helbren E, Boone D, Halligan S. (2015) Small Polyps at Endoluminal CT Colonography Are Often Seen But Ignored by Radiologists. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015 Oct;205(4):W424-31. doi: 10.2214/AJR.14.14093.
- Helbren E, Fanshawe TR, Phillips P, Mallett S, Boone D, Gale A, Altman DG, Taylor SA, Manning D, Halligan S. (2015) The effect of computer-aided detection markers on visual search and reader performance during concurrent reading of CT colonography. Eur Radiol. 2015 Jun;25(6):1570-8. doi: 10.1007/s00330-014-3569-z.
- Mallett S, Phillips P, Fanshawe TR, Helbren E, Boone D, Gale A, Taylor SA, Manning D, Altman DG, Halligan S. (2014) Tracking eye gaze during interpretation of endoluminal three-dimensional CT colonography: visual perception of experienced and inexperienced readers. Radiology. 2014 Dec;273(3):783-92. doi: 10.1148/radiol.14132896.
- Helbren E, Halligan S, Phillips P, Boone D, Fanshawe TR, Taylor SA, Manning D, Gale A, Altman DG, Mallett S. (2014) Towards a framework for analysis of eye-tracking studies in the three dimensional environment: a study of visual search by experienced readers of endoluminal CT colonography. Br J Radiol. 2014 May;87(1037):20130614. doi: 10.1259/bjr.20130614.
- Phillips P, Boone D, Mallett S, Taylor SA, Altman DG, Manning D, Gale A, Halligan S. (2013) Method for tracking eye gaze during interpretation of endoluminal 3D CT colonography: technical description and proposed metrics for analysis. Radiology. 2013 Jun;267(3):924-31. doi: 10.1148/radiol.12120062.
Recent external roles
- Reviewer for British Computer Society Human Computer Interaction 2016 conference
- Reviewer for British Journal of Radiology Special Issue on image perception