Vice Chancellor's Teaching Excellence Award (2012)
Nominated for the Cumberland News Group's Golden Apple Awards 'Lecturer of the Year' Award (2013)
Qualifications and memberships
MA Education (Flex by Dissertation) University of Southampton. Currently undertaking a PhD via publication.
Academic and research interests
Physical Activity and Health Promotion Green Exercise
- Christie, M., Thomson, M. & Miller, P.K. (2016). Personality disorder and intellectual disability: the impacts of horticultural therapy within a medium-secure unit. Journal of Therapeutic Horticulture, 26(1), 3-17
- Christie, M., & Cole, F. (2016). The impact of green exercise on volunteer’s mental health and wellbeing: findings from a community project in a woodland setting. Journal of Therapeutic Horticulture, 26(2), 3-15)
- Christie, M. (2017). Benefit Nature, Benefit Self, and Benefit Others: Older Adults and Their Volunteer Experiences of Engagement in a Conservation Themed Urban Park Forest. Journal of Therapeutic Horticulture, 27(2), 19-38
- Christie, M., Cole, F. & Miller, P.K. (2020). A Piloted Think Aloud Method Within an Investigation of the Impacts of a Therapeutic Green Exercise Project for People Recovering from Mental Ill-Health: Reflections on Ethnographic Utility. Journal of Therapeutic Horticulture, 30(1) 20-34.
- Christie, M., Hulse, L. & Miller, P.K. (2020). Time for a (gardening) break: investigating a specific green exercise initiative for staff health and wellbeing in a corporate environment. Journal of Therapeutic Horticulture, 30(1), 1-15.
- Christie, M., Miller, P. K., & Dewhurst, S. (2015). Green Exercise and Cardiovascular Health: Quantitative Evidence from a community conservation intervention in the UK. European Scientific Journal, ESJ, 11(26).
- Christie, M., Miller, P. K., Barry, T.J. & Dewhurst, S. (2012). The case for community conservation in cardiovascular health promotion in the North West: Evidence from the Lancaster 'Greenfingers' initiative. Cumbria Partnership Journal of Research, Practice and Learning, 2(1), 22-26.
- Christie, M., Thomson, M., Long, N. (2015). 'Exploring the use of Horticulture to Promote Physical, Psychosocial and Occupational Therapy Engagement. A Collaboration of Qualitative Research Findings from a Specialist Secure Learning Disabled NHS Trust'. The 14th International Conference on the Care & Treatment of Offenders with a Learning Disability. National Autistic Society, Leeds, 15th April, 2015.
- Christie, M. (2014). NHS Greenfingers project: Initial findings of a twelve month study in a medium secure unit. NHS Calderstones Research showcase, Clitheroe, Oct 2014.
- Christie, M. (2012). The NHS Greenfingers Project: Outline of an eco-therapy intervention project for male services users in a medium secure NHS setting. NHS Calderstones Research Showcase, Accrington Stanley, November 16th 2012.
- Christie, M. (2012). Nuts and Bolts of Sport Youth Inclusion Programmes, Presentation to Cumbria Youth Alliance, June 2012, Penrith, Cumbria
- Christie, M. (2011). The Physical and Psychosocial Impacts of the 'Greenfingers' Environmental Community Project. Cumbria Research & Enterprise 2011, University of Cumbria Lancaster Campus, July 8th 2011.
- Christie, M. (2014). The Science of Fitness Instruction and Personal Training. For Routledge Books.
- Christie, M. (2012). The economics of sport, health and happiness: The promotion of well-being through sporting activities. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 26(6), 520.
Christie, M. & Hoyle, K. (2013). 1st4sport Boccia Level One Coaching Qualification. Design commissioned by Boccia England. (50 pages)