Professor Kuntal Patel works as a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at University hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust.
He specialises in lower limb arthroplasty (hip and knee replacement), revision arthroplasty, management of sports injuries and minimally invasive surgery.
Qualifications and memberships
MBBS, MS (Orthopaedics), MRCS (Ed.), Dip SEM (GB&I), MSc (Health Science and practice), MSc (Sports injuries), FRCS (Trauma and Orthopaedics)
Academic and research interests
- Young adult hip pathology
- Sports injuries
- Adult hip and knee pathology
- Complex revision hip and knee surgery
- Medical Students
- MTI candidates (Orthopaedic registrars)
- Masters students
1. A Singh, S Mukherjee, K Patel, D Herlekar. Painful knee, can it be metallosis? Accepted for publication. Open access Macedonian journal of medical sciences.
2. M Ali, M Usman, K Patel. Effects of NSAIDs use in bone healing: A Meta-Analysis of retrospective case-control and cohort studies within clinical settings. Trauma. 2020, Vol 22(2) 94-111.
3. M Doddi-Kumar, K Patel, D Herlekar. Adductor canal continuous catheter for revision knee surgery-retrospective audit. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine Oct 2019, 44 (Suppl 1) A209; DOI: 10.1136/rapm-2019-ESRAABS2019.360.
4. M Doddi-Kumar, K Butterworth, K Patel, D Herlekar. Shamrock ultrasound guided psoas catheter for revision hip arthroplasty-prospective audit. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine Oct 2019, 44 (Suppl 1)A240; DOI: 10.1136/rapm-2019-ESRAABS2019.429.
5. Singhai S, Gandavaram S, Herlekar D, Patel K. Effectiveness of cortical window technique for revision hip arthroplasty. Orthop JMPC 2019: 25(1):3-7.
6. D Hill, K Patel, D Herlekar. Early catastrophic failure of a PINNACLE MARATHON polyethylene acetabular liner: a report of a malpositioned PINNACLE DUOFIX HA acetabular shell resulting in point loading and accelerated wear. Hip Int 2016; 26(6):e52-e55.
7. M Soufi, A Khunda, D Kalloo, K Patel. A Traumatic Dislocation of a Unicondylar Knee Replacement: A Case Report. Orthopaedic & Muscular System: Current Research 2014, 3:4.
8. Patel K, Raut V. Patella in Total Knee Arthroplasty: To resurface or not to- A cohort study of staged bilateral total knee arthroplasty. International Orthopaedics. 2011; 35 (3): 349-353.
9. Samuel R, Sloan A, Patel K, Aglan M, Zubairy A. The efficacy of combined popliteal and ankle blocks in forefoot surgery. JBJS Am. 2008; 90: 1443-1446.
10. Yallapragada R, Patel K, Davuluri P, Sloan A, Marynissen H. Arthroscopy assisted fixation of glenoid fracture. International journal of shoulder surgery. July 2007; 1(3): 96-99.
11. Drane AJ, Patel KJ, Murali SR. Non-union of an olecranon fracture in a professional rugby player. Injury Extra. July 2007; 38 (7): 228-230.
12. Patel K, Oudit D, Ross G, Howcroft AJ, Nicholson C. Midface swelling in a child - A diagnostic dilemma. The Canadian Journal of Plastic Surgery. 2005; 13 (4): 207-208.
13. Zakir Shariff, Kuntal Patel, A. Elbo, I. Guisasola. Bilateral radial head fractures in a woman with trivial trauma. Medscape General Medicine. 2005; 7(3).
14. Amit Kapoor, P.P.Golwala, Kuntal J Patel, Deven V Desai, Sashidhar V. Yeluri. Giant Cell Tumor of First Metacarpal. The Internet Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2004; 2 (1).
15. Patel K, Kapoor A, Daveshwar R, Golwala. Percutaneous Intramedullary Supracondylar Nailing for fractures of distal femur. Malaysian journal of medicine; May 2004; 59:206- 207.
18. Zakir Habib, Kuntal J Patel. A-Z of Plab Part 2. Kalam Books.2004.