Scott Boldt is an experienced author, researcher and lecturer on education.
His work is based on the transformation of educational systems, schools and practices based on the principles and approach of Big Picture Learning with a focus on 'one-student-at-a-time', Real World Learning, Personalised Curriculum, Authentic Assessment, Learning Through Internships, Parental and Community Engagement, Collaborative School Culture, Shared Leadership, Advisory Structure, Post-School Planning and Professional Development. He pursues this work through independent consultancy and research evaluations, through writing and speaking engagements, identifying and supporting innovations, grant-writing, advocacy and networking.
He specializes in Curriculum Development and Learning Theory. His books and articles have covered topics ranging from educational disadvantage and alternative education to school leadership and national curriculum reform. Scott has his M.Ed. from Trinity College, Dublin and his Ph.D. from the University of Jyväskylä in Finland; he brings a fresh and international perspective to understanding educational change and innovation along with years of practical engagement with learners.
He serves on a number of boards acting in a leadership role related to transformation and reform agendas, including:
- Chairperson, Board of Directors, Big Picture Learning UK.
- Board of Governors: Big Picture Learning Netherlands
- Board of Governors: Big Picture Learning Espana
- Board of Governors: Lagan Integrated College, Belfast
- Chairperson/Treasurer: EMBRACE NI
- Senior Fellow: Institute for Sustainable Peace, Houston, Texas
- Leader/Facilitator: Forum for Reconciliation and Leadership, Fuzine, Croatia
- Leader/Facilitator: WAVE, Tuzla, Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Board of Directors: Northern Visions Television, Channel 7, Belfast.
- Expectations Revolution: Research Evaluation of Harbor Freight Fellowship Initiative, Leeds Beckett University, 2021.
- Project InSight: Research Evaluation, Leeds Beckett University, 2021.
- Los Angeles Leaves to Learn, Leeds Beckett University, 2021.
- Showing the Way. An Appraisal of Upstream Collaborative, Big Picture Learning, 2020.
- Making Connections: Interests, Relationships, Practice. Big Picture Learning, 2020.
- Shine A Light: White Paper – Project InSight. Big Picture Learning, 2020. WITH – Harbor Freight Fellows Initiative, Big Picture Learning, 2020.
- Oberstown Children Detention Campus: Suggestions and Guidelines for Improving the Experience of Learners, DDLETB, 2020.
- Upstream Collaborative: Listening and Learning, Big Picture Learning, 2019.
- Braiding the Strands: White Paper – Harbor Freight Fellows Initiative, Big Picture Learning, 2019.
- Justice For All, Racial Justice Sunday, CTBI, 2017.
- Boldt, S., Schmidt, Z. and Wherrett, A. A Thousand Words: Exploring Sectarianism in Northern Ireland. Edgehill, 2014.
- “Choose” - Producer, Film Documentary presenting views of Loyalists and Republicans, 2014.
- “Hear My Voice: Voices of Migrants and People Seeking Asylum” - Producer, Film Documentary, 2013.
- “Inside Stories: Listening to Young Prisoners in Northern Ireland”, Co-Producer with Jasbeer Singh, Film Documentary, 2012.
- “Finding Sanctuary: migration, community and the churches”, Geneva: World Council of Churches, February 2008.
- Alternative Education for Under 15’s: International Perspectives. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 2004 (Translated into Korean, 2007).
- “Decrocheurs/racrocheurs en Irlande” in Revue Internationale D’Education. No. 35, April 2004.
- Paulus, P. and Boldt, S. The current status of evaluation in the European Network of Health Promoting Schools – survey results, World Health Organization, 2001.
- BITE: Ballymun Initiative for Third-Level Education – Research Evaluation II: Primary and Post-Primary Levels. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 2001.
- Powerful Hopes: An In-Depth Study of the Potential of Young People from the Inner City of Dublin. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 2000.
- BITE: Ballymun Initiative for Third-Level Education: A Research Evaluation. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 2000.
- “A Vantage Point of Values” in School Culture and Ethos: Cracking the Code. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 2000.
- “Early School Leaving” in Report of the Joint Committee on Education and Science. Houses of the Oireachtas, May 1999.
- “Responses and Approaches to the Needs of Students” in Journal of the Institute of Guidance Counsellors, Vol. 23, Spring 1999.
- “Echte betrokkenheid, daar gaat het om’ het Kileely Community Project in Limerick” (trans. B. Van Oers) Vernieuwing, Vol. 57, No. 4, April 1998.
- Educational Disadvantage in Ireland. (with B. Devine) Dublin: Combat Poverty Agency, 1998.
- Unlocking Potential: A Study and an Appraisal of the Leaving Certificate Applied. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 1998.
- Showing the Way: Responses and Approaches to the Needs of Students and Early School Leavers. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 1998.
- Age and Opportunity: The Educational Needs of People Aged 55 and Over. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 1998.
- “Abandon premature de la scholarisation en Irlande” in Les lyceens decrocheurs: De l’impasse aux chemins de traverse. Lyon: Chronique Sociale, 1998.
- Hear My Voice: A Longitudinal Study of the Post-School Experiences of Early School Leavers. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 1997.
- “Scientific Report” European Observatory for Innovation in Education and Training 1996-1997. Paris: 1997.
- Primary School Interventions. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 1996.
- Boldt, S. and Leader, D. Principals and Principalship: A Study of Principals in Voluntary Secondary Schools. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 1994.
- Listening and Learning: A Study of the Experiences of Early School Leavers from the Inner City of Dublin. Dublin: Marino Institute of Education, 1994.
- “English in Primary School: A View from the ‘Bottom’” in Studies in Education: A Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 10 No. 2, Autumn 1994.