Recent academic outputs:
International Conference on Research and Science (ICRES) 2015 organised by the International Journal of Education and Science in Turkey. Paper given on ‘The use of technology in social work in promoting Expert by Experience involvement’.
- Authenticity to Action Conference, UCLAN March 2015. Paper delivered with EbE colleagues ‘Working in Co-production with Experts by Experience.’
- Teaching and Learning conference, Plymouth University June 2016. Poster on ‘Does creative play enhance students’ wellbeing?’
- University of Coventry Violence and Interpersonal Aggression Conference June 2017- Paper delivered on ‘Resilience, resistance and agency in adult survivors of childhood domestic abuse.’
- University of Cumbria Teaching and Learning Conference 20th June 2017. Paper delivered on ‘Working with Experts by Experience’.
- University of Cumbria Research and Innovation Conference 7th July 2017. Paper delivered on ‘How well does the world of academia accommodate the non-traditional student?’
- University of Cumbria social Work Conference July 2017. Paper given on ‘Resilience, resistance and agency in adult survivors of childhood domestic abuse.’
- University of Worcester National Centre for the Prevention of Violence and Aggression Conference June 2018. Paper delivered on ‘Creativity as a self-righting mechanism for adults who experienced domestic abuse as children: review of the literature.’
- University of Cumbria PhD Student Conference July 2018. Paper delivered on ‘Creativity as a self-righting mechanism for adults who experienced domestic abuse as children: review of the literature.’
- University of Cumbria Teaching and Learning Conference June 2018 – Paper delivered with EbE colleague Jonathan Elliot on ‘EbE involvement in student assessment.’
Qualifications and memberships
Diploma of H.E. in Social and Environmental Studies
Diploma of H.E in Counselling
BSc (Hons) Sociology
PgC in Academic Practice
MA in Education
Current PhD student
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Member of the Developing Users and Carers in Education (DUCIE) network.
Academic and research interests
My PhD thesis examines the development of agency, resilience and resistance strategies in adults who experienced domestic violence and abuse (DVA) in childhood. Whilst there is a lot of contemporary research into how DVA impacts upon each stage of childhood and adolescence, from pre-natally to being a young adult, there is little research which examines A. non-negative impacts of DVA or B. the lived experiences of those children later in life.
Other research interests include working inclusively with Experts by Experience, creativity in education, the student experience and mental health in academia.