All the information you need about international study in the UK

The UK Home Office operates a points based immigration system. Most students are classified as Tier 4. Under Tier 4 the university will act as a student's 'sponsor' and is required to take an increased level of responsibility for a student's immigration status whilst in the UK. This does not equate to financial sponsorship. 

As some areas of governmental policy are subject to change, we strongly recommend that you refer to the UK Home Office website for definitive information.

For information on how to apply for a visa under the new Points Based System (PBS), visit the UK Home Office website - visa information.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) offers a range of information for international applicants and students, and advice about applying for a UK student visa.

Click on the following link for the latest news for international students.

Applying from inside the UK

If you are a new student and need a visa to study in the UK, please visit the Home Office website for full details on how to make your application, application guidelines and forms, along with processing times, fees and regulations. Visit our Application Enquiry homepage for information on how to apply.

If you are an existing University of Cumbria student and would like to extend your current student visa, please visit the Home Office website for full details on how to make your application, application guidelines and forms, along with processing times, fees and regulations. To request a CAS number, please review the guidance and the form, which should be completed and submitted to the Course Information Point on your campus.

Applying from outside the UK

The Home Office manages the UK visa operation service around the world through visa sections at UK embassies, high commissions and consulates and through visa application centres. Visit the UK Home Office website for information on how and where to apply. You can also download a range of guidance to help you make your application. In some countries you can apply online; to check if you can apply online in your country, visit their online application portal.

Police registration

Some students may be required to register with the Police (it will be displayed in your passport/identify card if you are required to do this), and should do so within 7 days of arrival into the UK. During the welcome programme, students will have the opportunity to notify us if they are required to register. We will contact the police registration team to arrange a date and time for students to register.

Please be advised that if you are required to register, that you must do so, as it may prevent you from returning to the UK for a period of up to 10 years.

If your country is on this list then you are required to register:

Afghanistan China Kazakhstan Palestine Turkey
Algeria Colombia Kuwait Peru Turkmenistan
Argentina Cuba Kyrgyzstan Qatar UAE
Armenia Egypt Lebanon Russia Ukraine
Azerbaijan Georgia Libya Saudi Arabia Uzbekistan
Bahrain Iran   Moldova Sudan Yemen
Belarus Iraq Morocco Syria
Bolivia Israel North Korea  Tajikistan
Brazil Jordan Oman Tunisia

If you hold a non-national travel document rather than a passport you are also required to register with the police.

In order to register with the police you will need:

It is your responsibility to ensure that you keep your details up to date. If you change address, you must notify the Police of your new address details. If you have been out of the UK for 12 months or more, you will be required to re-register.

Visa application forms

For UK visa application forms, visit the Home Office website and view the how to apply page. Most applications are made online with documents submitted in person or by post. Information is also available in the International Student Handbook.

ATAS Clearance

What is ATAS?

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) was introduced in 2007 by the UK Government to stop the spread of knowledge and skills that could be used in the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. At present, ATAS only applies to courses at postgraduate and PhD level.

Courses which are listed in ATAS require clearance and an ATAS statement is issued by the University when you have accepted your Unconditional offer and just before we issue you with a CAS statement. Please note you cannot apply for an ATAS until you receive an Unconditional offer from the University. The ATAS Certificate must be applied for and received before a visa application is made.

Who needs to apply for ATAS clearance?

Students applying for the following course(s) at the University of Cumbria (via Lancaster University) will have to apply to ATAS for clearance:

How do I apply?

ATAS is applied for by a free, online application process. You should follow the instructions carefully before you make the application as the information requested in the process is very detailed and specific. Full details are available at the Government website.  

Working in the UK after your studies

If you are a current University of Cumbria student and would like further information on how to work in the UK once your studies are complete, please visit the UK Home Office for full details on how to make your application, application guidelines and forms, along with processing times, fees and regulations.  

More information on visa, immigration, working in the UK is available from UKCISA. We would advise you to read the student information sheets provided by UKCISA before you make your application.

The UK Home Office website details all the conditions of immigrations.

Working for the University of Cumbria

If you are not a UK citizen and you are hoping to work at the university, please contact the Human Resources Service.

Edit Page